Chocolate Date Frosting & Book Signing

Once in a while it hits me… the craving for a slice of chocolate cake =) I’ve always been crazy for chocolate cake. And believe it or not, I think the cakes I make now (that I’m gluten-free) are even better than the ones I use to eat many years ago.
This cake recipe isn’t new. I have three chocolate cake options for you: My original chocolate cake, which you can find here (and in my first cookbook), my grain-free chocolate cake, or my vegan fudge cake. The latter two are in my second cookbook, Grain-Free Baked Goods & Desserts.
What is new is this decadent frosting. As it usually goes, I was standing in my kitchen when the idea popped into my head: Chocolate date frosting. Oh yeah. It’s out of this world. =)
So I’m about to give you this recipe now, but first there is something I want to ask you: Would you like to try a slice of this cake and frosting, made by yours truly?
This Saturday, January 8th, at 1:00 I’ll be at Red Frog Coffee for the opening of my art show and signing cookbooks. I would love to meet you! I’ll be the one with the chocolate cake =)
Also, I can’t make any promises, but I’ve invited a couple of my other gluten-free blogger friends to come out and say “hi.” I’m not going to say who, but they are some uber-talented ladies =)
I hope those of you who are close can come out, and if you have my cookbook(s) already, bring them for me to sign! I’ll also have some available for sale if you don’t.

Chocolate Date Frosting

Add to food processor:
1.5 cup pitted dates (soaked overnight if they are dry)
3/4 cup plain cashews
Begin to puree. While pureeing gradually add:
1.5 cup coconut milk
Puree till creamy and smooth.
Add:
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tbsp arrowroot flour
1/3 cup coconut oil, liquified
1/2 cup cocoa powder
Puree till creamy and smooth.
Taste, and add more cocoa if necessary.
Freeze for about half an hour or refrigerate till cool.
Makes enough for one single layer cake. Double for a layered cake.

Comments

I might have to do that…

I have a few reasons why I’d go. Obviously to meet you and see your art (I’m an artist, too!) and visit the coffee shop since amazingly I haven’t been there even though I’ve been to Longmont many times.

Also…who can resist cake!? Chocolate cake? Wow.

Will you have copies of your new book? Now that I have some money I am thinking of getting one but wasn’t sure if I should order or if you’ll have copies for sale there.

Congrats on all your accomplishments,
    Hannah

Oh how I wish I lived near you – I’d love to come and meet you, taste your chocolate cake, and see your amazing art show! I have a guess at who might be there with you…Do their names start with an E and an L? Have fun!

Hi Kelly! I’m so impressed to hop over here from twitter and find a chocolate cake recipe safe for my son with no modifications! Thank you so much!

Is the coconut milk in the recipe canned coconut milk or So Delicious milk?

I’m hoping to stop by on Saturday! :)

Oh never mind me – I got so excited I now see what I thought was the cake recipe was the 2nd half of the frosting recipe. :) I was amazed that the cake looked so fluffy without eggs or baking powder! LOL! Still hoping to stop by on Saturday, say hello and take a look at your art and your cookbooks! :)

Thanks guys!

Hannah, Yes, I will have some copies of the new one :-)

Maggie, Maybe ;-)

Sarah, I always use canned.

Ariana, I made the grain-free one in cookbook 2. Shown in the book with the macadamia glaze :-)

I’m a chocolate fiend, and this looks SOOOOO good! Love chocolate and dates together. And I can’t wait to try your new chocolate cakes! :D

Wish I were closer so I could attend the signing (sniff, boo hoo). Have a fabulous time!

Ah this cake looks incredible, cannot believe that it is gluten free… looks too good to eat! Thanks for this frosting recipe, Ive been trying to find a good frosting thats sugar free.

Ah too bad I dont live in america, I would love to be there. Will definitely order your book. congratS!

Teenie Foodie

This looks like heaven on a plate! I’ve ruled out the possibility of having frosting ever again ( I follow the Paleo diet, no dairy) so I’m delighted by this recipe.

Congrats on your book and thanks!

Cara
    primroseandpaleo.wordpress.com

Kelly,
    This cake looks just divine! I wish I could eat the cashews so that I could give it a try! I love dates – maybe I’ll experiment in my kitchen.

I would so be at the signing if I were nearby – and you totally inspired my latest blog Coconut Rice due to the cauliflower/broccoli curry – I made my own version and the rice had to go with it, so THANK YOU for the inspiration! :)

Hugs,
    Gigi

Hm. Sigh! It seems I won’t be able to make it today. :( Things aren’t going as planned. My daughter is on the wild side today and my husband is trying (in vain) to fix the leak in our sink pipe before he leaves for his on-call work. Perhaps some other time. :(

I hope everything goes really well and you have/had a great time!

Well, once again you do not disappoint. Just made the choc cake from the grain free cookbook and put this frosting on it. Delicious!!–Tessa

12. Sofia says

Kelly, this look delicious! Do you make this chocolate cake in two cake pans or use a bundt pan and slice the cake in half to ice it?

13. Catherine says

Hi Kelly! I don’t have a food processor only a blender (and not a very good one!) but I’m dying to try this frosting recipe. Do you think this frosting would turn out the same if I tried to make it in a blender? =) Thanks and looking forward to your response!

Hi Kelly,

I have made your icing 2 times now. Made two different cakes and they were both blah. (not your recipes. ;) ) So I ended up eating huge spoonfuls of just plain ole icing! lol I’ts wonderful! I’ve tried so many different recipes the last year trying to find a good one. I think I did!

One question..Could I use plain milk or would it be to thin? Not good in the kitchen at all! Thanks so much for all your wonderful recipes!

Jody B.

Today I made this icing today to top my husbands chocolate orange birthday cake! It came out amazing! I had way too much though so I divided the rest into 125ml mason jars and popped them into the fridge to have as dessert tonight. We just tried them and they are fantastic as a pudding. Light and creamy, almost like a mousse!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Eryn

This is AWESOME!!! My entire family LOVES it!!! I love that it is good for you, nothing to feel guilty about! I am baffled on how you think of recipes, such as this one. Cashews in frosting? LOVE IT!!!

OH.MY.GOSH. This recipe is amazing. Healthy frosting?! I made it the other day and it was so yummy just on its own. Tastes exactly like my old frosting recipe.. minus the powdered sugar and margarine. Thankyou :)

Hi Kelly,

Do you have any idea how long this frosting will keep for? I am having my birthday party on Friday, was thinking of making the frosting today (Wednesday) and the cake tomorrow, assemble cake + frosting tomorrow and eat it on Friday. Do you think it would still taste fresh? Trying to spread the baking out over the week since it’s going to be a busy few days!

Made this yesterday with a few alterations – didn’t have arrowroot so used Xanthan Gum (is that bad?), reduced amount of almond milk instead of coconut (too strong a flavor for me), butter instead of coco oil (same deal), and vanilla powder instead of extract (what I had). Anyway, I know it sounds way different but it came out GREAT! I put it on my mom’s favorite chocolate sweet potato cake and all was well with the world :-) Thank you for such a great recipe! I think next time I might reduce the amount of butter and put in some unsweetened chocolate (chocoholic that I am). Yum!