The other day I came across my first handwritten recipe book. It’s really cute. I covered a small blank sketchbook with pages from a cooking magazine and Mod Podged over the top to protect it. Then I made tabs for sections like bread, chicken, and casserole. Most of the recipes came from my mom—things she made when we were growing up. Banana bread (Bisquick), beef stroganoff (Campbell’s). And a few of my own too: Spinach Ricotta Pie (most likely from the back of a pre-made pie crust box), and my long lost favorite… “The Best Chicken Strips.”
I felt a touch sentimental and a touch embarrassed of myself It was from the first year Andy and I were married—A.K.A. the height of my homemade gluten and dairy consumption. The recipes are filled with words that make persent-day Kelly cringe like, “lite ranch dressing” and “canned cream of mushroom soup.” I feel bloated just imagining it.
But reading about “The Best” chicken strips made me miss them. So I decided to create some equally awesome gluten free chicken nuggets / strips a decade later for the new me I can’t wait for you to try them!
Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets Recipe
gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free
about 1 and 1/2 pounds of chicken breast, cut into strips
2 cups almond flour Note: I think ground sunflower seeds would also work and taste amazing
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper 4 eggs
Honey Mustard Sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
salt and pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 450°F.
- Add the almond flour, salt, garlic, onion, cumin, and pepper to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs. Set aside.
- I like to use a fork to skewer the chicken for this process: Take a skewered piece of chicken and dip it in the egg mixture. Let the excess run off.
- Put the chicken in the flour mixture. Brush the flour mixture over the chicken and egg. Lightly shake off the excess.
- Dip in egg then flour again.
- After the nuggets have each been dipped in egg and flour twice, place them on a greased wire rack over a cookie sheet. A greased broiler pan works too.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until they are nicely browned.
- Whisk the Honey Mustard Sauce ingredients together and serve with the chicken nuggets.