Battered Gluten free Chicken Nuggets Recipe with honey mustard dressing

glutenfreechickenstrips
The other day I came across my first handwritten recipe book. It’s really cute. I covered a small blank sketchbook with pages from a cooking magazine and Mod Podged over the top to protect it. Then I made tabs for sections like bread, chicken, and casserole. Most of the recipes came from my mom—things she made when we were growing up. Banana bread (Bisquick), beef stroganoff (Campbell’s). And a few of my own too: Spinach Ricotta Pie (most likely from the back of a pre-made pie crust box), and my long lost favorite… “The Best Chicken Strips.”
I felt a touch sentimental and a touch embarrassed of myself :-) It was from the first year Andy and I were married—A.K.A. the height of my homemade gluten and dairy consumption. The recipes are filled with words that make 2011 Kelly cringe like, “lite ranch dressing” and “canned cream of mushroom soup.” I feel bloated just imagining it.
But reading about “The Best” chicken strips made me miss them. So I decided to create some equally awesome gluten free chicken nuggets / strips a decade later for the new me :-) My first try was good, but I wanted a thicker “batter” type of crust. This morning I made them again and I’m so happy with the results. I can’t wait for you to try them!

Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets Recipe

gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free

Rinse about 1.5 pounds of chicken breast & cut into strips. Set aside.

Add to bowl 1:
2 cups almond meal flour (I use Bob’s)
Note: I think ground sunflower seeds would also work and taste amazing.
1/2 tsp Herbamare
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Whisk to combine.

Add to bowl 2:
4 eggs
Whisk.

I like to use a fork to skewer the chicken for this process.
Take a skewered strip of chicken and dip it in the egg mixture.
Let the excess run off.
Next put the chicken in the flour mixture.
Brush the flour mixture over the chicken and egg.
Lightly shake off the excess.
Dip in egg then flour again.

After the strips have each been dipped in egg and flour twice, lightly shake the excess again and place them on a greased wire rack over a cookie sheet. A greased broiler pan works too.

Bake at 450 degrees for about 20minutes.

Honey Mustard Sauce

Add equal parts extra virgin olive oil, dijon and honey (like 1/4 cup of each). Whisk. Taste and add more mustard if you like.

NOTE: This post has been updated based on improvements to the recipe.

Comments

I too cringe when I look at my handwritten recipes from the past. I don’t even consider some of those processed ingredients food anymore. But, it is fun to remake them allergy friendly!

These chicken strips have a “homemade with love” look going on. I love it! lol

Those look so good, Kelly! Thanks for the tip on turning the quinoa flakes into “flour.” I like the quinoa flakes, too. :-) Beautiful job. We all grow so much over the years. Sometimes I think about where I’d be if I hadn’t gone gluten free 7 1/2 years ago and started looking at what I eat all the time. Very scary, so I don’t focus on that long.

Shirley

Kelley, I can’t find the cinnamon bun recipe on your website. Is it still out here? I bookmarked it a while ago and went to make it tonight, finding a “this page does not exist” message in its place. :( Thanks so much for the recipes! They’re excellent!

I think I took it down because I made some changes to the recipe and put it in my second cookbook. Sorry! I can email it to you if you give me your email.

5. Catherine says

Hi Kelly,

I recently went completely grain free and these chicken strips look amazing! Do you think I could get a similar result with substituting coconut flour for the quinoa flakes? Also, your grain free coconut flour cake looks divine! I will be buying your cookbook to make that very soon! :-)

What a treasure trove of gf recipes!! I’m (my girls are too) so glad to come upon your website. We baked the Santa Lucia buns and they were a big hit!! I”m wondering if I can substitute tapioca flour with arrowroot powder. The girls wanted more and I just ran out of tapioca flour. Thank you so much!!!

These really do look great. Since childhood I have be1en allergic to chicken so no fond memories of chicken strips but I would like to try these out, possibly with pork.

Do you have any thoughts/suggestions?

I’m quite new to gluten free (am trying out Paleo w/ regular cheats like agave). Thanks!

I made these last night, and my family LOVED them! My husband has requested that these are a staple now. Thanks for your creativity!

Vanesza

Ooh, yum! I have old recipes lingering about like that – cream of canned this, boxed that…but my 2010-2011 Alta loves almond flour batter for chicken strips too! This sounds like the best kid-pleaser.

Cyndi, I bet you could. Just use your egg-replacer, or applesauce mixed with flax or chia meal. I can’t be sure it will work, since I haven’t tried it myself, but I think there’s a good chance :-)

I made these last night for dinner. It’s def a new family favorite. Dd took the leftovers to coop in her lunch. She said they were yummy the next day too.

These are AMAZING! I made them for dinner tonight and my kids had three servings each! they just couldn’t get enough. Luckily, I made enough to put in their lunch boxes tomorrow :)

xo
    Marla and Sophia

This honey mustard is perfect! My husband is a honey mustard connoisseur and agreed that it was the best I have ever made. Thanks for the great recipe!!

14. Tammy says

I don’t seen quinoa in the recipe? And what is Herbamare? Forgive me, I am new to this whole GF thing. Very new. Its so overwhelming. But little steps.

• says

They used to have quinoa, but I replaced it with almond flour. You can use quinoa flour if you like (I used to grind quinoa flakes into flour in my Magic Bullet blender). Herbamare is a mixed seasoning salt (Like Jane’s Crazy Mixed Up Salt).

15. Cynthia Christensen says

What about substituting garbanzo bean flour for the almond flour? Love your recipes! I went gf about 10 mos ago. Been eating clean and using Advocare products and so far I have lost 90 pounds! I was so discouraged knowing I needed to lose 100+ lbs but with recipes like yours it is possible for a 50 yr old menopausal woman with extremely high blood pressure, high cholesterol, poor circulation and pre-diabetic, to lose weight! Everyone told me it wouldn’t happen but I proved them so wrong! Keep up the good work.