Coconut Dreams (Gluten Free Cookies)

glutenfreecoconutdreams
A few days ago I posted my variation of Scandinavian Thumbprint Cookies, and many of you tried them and love them :-) I wanted to try another recipe from the cookbook which inspired the thumbprint cookies, Swedish Cakes and Cookies.
The second recipe comes from the same page as the first, and is called Coconut Dreams. Because my version is gluten free cookies I needed applesauce and chia meal (or an egg would probably work too) to help hold it together. They came out really yummy. I hope you all enjoy them too!

Coconut Dreams (gluten free cookies)

gluten-free, egg-free

Add to bowl:
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tbsp Chia Seed meal (I grind my seeds in coffee grinder or Magic Bullet. 1 tbsp meal is equal to about 1/2 tbsp seeds)
1/4 cup honey (or other sugar)
15 drops vanilla liquid stevia
1/4 cup melted ghee
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
optional: 1/4 tsp almond extract

Mix with electric mixer.

Add:
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup arrowroot flour
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 cup almond meal flour (I used Bob’s)
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Mix again. Roll into little balls and flatten between your hands. Bake on unbleached parchment paper at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. Makes about 20.

Comments

I’m new here so sorry if you’ve written about this elsewhere. Are there any replacements for the almond meal flour? Thanks for your help and for this wonderful blog!

Coconut sweets are my hubby’s favorites–I will have to give these a try for him. (And I may just have to sneak a little nibble for myself. . .ACD or not!) ;)

I made these cookies a week ago and adjusted a couple of things to make them dairy free – replaced the ghee with coconut butter & rolled them in powdered sugar. They turned out SO good. Thank you for the inspiration!

Here’s the link if you’re interested

4. Cristina says

Just whipped up a batch of these and the Thumbprints and they are oh so good! I was dubious about using the chia seed instead of eggs, but both recipes came out beautifully. Thanks so much for your great recipes! I am also loving the new book. Must admit I was dubious about baking with beans, but so far everything is coming out beautifully and quite tasty.
    I guess I am on a Spunky Coconut roll this week since I also made your very tasty Pumpkin Spice bread.

5. Donna says

Tak for the wonderful Swedish Jul offerings!!…My half-Swedish husband will love these..Important question!..Is tapioca flour and tapioca starch the same thing?..I live in France and I see “Fecule de Tapioca”..everywhere..but is the flour different?..Would I need to go to a natural food store?..Thank you so much for any enlightenment! I absolutely love your well-crafted blog by the way…your photography..everything…It makes my paleo palate very happy indeed!

Fecule de mais is the same as tapioca starch…I made these and they didn’t turn out at all. They stuck to the roof of my mouth, didn’t hold their shape, crumbled….and tasted funny. I don’t use coconut oil, but I usually replace it with butter or canola oil, and the other recipes have worked, but this one…something is wrong. they didn’t even look like the one in the picture. and I had brown flecks in them, maybe because of the chia seed meal.