Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes

cauliflower mashed potatoes
Don’t these mock mashed potatoes look amazing? They are =) I got the idea from my friend, Elana. You can see her recipe here. Although I do eat white potatoes once in a while, I don’t like to eat them constantly. But to have “mashed potatoes” more often sounds like a good idea to me. So today when I was shopping for my Christmas groceries, and I saw all the lovely cauliflower, I thought of Elana’s recipe, and I bought one.

I wasn’t skeptical. I knew cauliflower mashed potatoes would be delicious. My husband on the other hand… was less than sure. Well, when he took a spoonful, seconds after I snapped this photo, he said, “Wow. I can’t believe it.” Teehee =)
Perhaps you may want to give them a try too.

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes

1 head of cauliflower
1/2 tsp Herbamare seasoning
1 tablespoon butter, ghee or palm shortening (as tolerated)
2 to 3 tablespoons cashew milk (see How to Make Cashew Milk video)
parsley

Cut one large head of cauliflower into bits and steam until fork tender.
Add the steamed cauliflower to the food processor with seasoning, butter, and cashew milk
Puree. Scrape the sides and continue to puree till creamy and smooth.
Top with fresh parsley.

Serves 4.

Comments

I started out to make Elana’s Cauliflower Rice recipe this evening for dinner. Well, it turned out to be mashed potatoes. My husband was also the skeptic saying, “OK, I’ll try a little.” He, too, went back for seconds. I guess it was a success all around.

My mom makes this all the time. Except she adds cheddar cheese. She loves it! I am not soo keen on the idea. I’d rather make “green potatoes” and do it with broccoli!

I’ve been eating Low Carb since 2004, so faux potatoes and rice dishes made with cauliflower make frequent appearances on our table, especially when I’m serving roasted or braised meat with meaty sauces or gravies.

For a long time, my grade school-aged son didn’t even know about mashed potatoes, it had been so long since he’d had any. I find the cauliflower “analogs” very easy to make (not to mention delicious), but it’s very important to make sure the cauliflower is completely drained, or else the results can be watery and unappealing. Also, the cauliflower needs to be cooked tender enough, but not overcooked, or else, like other brassica veggies, it becomes sulfurous (stinky).

I LOVE Cauliflower mashed “potatoes”. It’s funny since I’ve never cared for real mashed potatoes at all. Cauliflower fried “rice” is delicious too.

I make these all the time too, although then i put into a gratin dish, add some cheese and bacon (when I am feeling bad) and then bake until cheese melts.

We made these in lieu of mashed potatoes for Christmas dinner and WOW!! We had kind of a “Kelly Christmas” dinner, as it was, since 90% of our our dishes came from your cookbooks (both of them!!)! It was our best Christmas dinner ever…even BEFORE allergies changed our lives! We LOVE you, Kelly!!!

I LOVE making cauliflower mashed potatoes. My husband and I call them ‘Faux-tatoes’ ;)

They are super tasty served with a ladle full of chili on top as well!

I’m going to try this. I’ve been making mine using celery root that I cube, steam, and puree, then have added ghee, salt, & pepper. I like it but my husband just admitted that he really doesn’t care for the celery root.

Good day Kelly from Australia.
    Thank you so much for the wonderful recipes. I have just watched your video on
    “How to make cashew and almond milk”. Question. How long can the milk keep in the fridge?
    Kathleen.

10. janet says

hi there, I was wondering, how do you keep yours from being so runny. the picture looks fabulous, mine always comes out runnier, even though it tastes delicious. can you give me any tips on that? thanks

• says

Are you steaming IN water or OVER water? My cauliflower doesn’t make direct contact with the water. You could also finely chop the steamed cauliflower first (in the food processor), then squeeze it through a cloth to remove the water. Then add it to the processor with the rest of the ingredients and puree until smooth. :-)