Pumpkin Spice Bread and Thanks

gfpumkinspicebread
As promised, here is the pumpkin spice bread I made last evening :-) I made it twice because I wanted to add more spices. Also, I didn’t grind the shredded coconut and quinoa flakes nearly as much the second time so I would have a grainier texture. If you prefer a finer, more cake-like texture, you can grind those more finely.
howtocookpumpkin
If you have my cookbook, then you’ve seen a photo like this before :-) Cooking your own whole pumpkin is so simple. Just put it in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour. Don’t poke or cut it at all. I usually do this in the evening, and the oven makes the house nice and toasty. Then I leave it on the counter to cool overnight. In the morning the skin just peals off so nicely, as you can see. Scoop out the seeds, and puree. Easy-peasy =)
steviaflowers
I want to give you guys another big thank you for using my Amazon (and iHerb) links, which is how I was able to get this new camera. I love it! Thank you so much! Check out the amazing flowering stevia photo I got with it! Those white flowers are less than a quarter of an inch big in real life. Eeek! It makes me so happy :-) In fact, all my photos from now on will be taken with it.

And now on to the recipe!

Grain-free Pumpkin Spice Bread

Add to food processor:
1 cup shredded coconut
Process for one minute.
Note: For a finer bread texture use a professional blender, like a Vita-Mix or Blendtec to grind the shredded coconut and quinoa flakes. Or you can even use a coffee grinder. Just grind 1/4 cup at a time if you’re using a coffee grinder.
Add:
1 cup walnuts
Process for a few seconds.
Add:
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves (I grind cloves in my coffee grinder)
Combine.
Pour into bread loaf pan, lined with unbleached parchment paper on the bottom, and greased all around.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.

Comments

1. Nan says

Beautiful loaf of bread.

Coconut sugar? How did I miss that? I don’t eat sugar BUT I do like to use a little when cooking treats for family. Thanks!

Yippee for your new camera, Kelly! Love the photos! The white flowers of the stevia remind me of those on a snake plant, if you are familiar with that plant. Those plants don’t bloom often, but when they do, the blooms are small and delicate and very sweet in fragrance.

LOVE the bread, too! I have all the ingredients except I’m out of coconut sugar. Might have to try some Demerera sugar that I have.

Thanks, dear!
    Shirley

Thank you so much for the pumpkin tips. I was planning on roasting ours this monday (planning for a big job and I already asked hubby to cut the pumpkins for me, etc.) Your way is so simple I am super excited to try this. =0)

A great tip about cooking the pumpkin whole and leaving it overnight. I’ve only ever cooked it whole in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes in order to serve something in it, ie a soup or a curry. Or just peeled and chopped it to roast it. I’ll definitely try this – many thanks!

5. lori says

Looks so yummy – any way chia seeds could be used instead of eggs?? I can’t have eggs or flax.

Nice crisp clear pictures, now if you could incorporate smell…we’d be in trouble! Ha!

What is the difference between quinoa flakes and quinoa flour? Are the flakes cooked? If you are going to grind up the flakes anyway, could flour be replaced? Thanks! Your recipe looks great!

Thanks ya’ll!

Christina, I just don’t like the taste of quinoa flour. I prefer the taste of quinoa flakes. I’m sure the flour could be substituted, but I don’t know how much you would need.

I made two loaves of this last night – one using walnuts and the other using pecans. Both turned out great! On the second loaf, I was a bit short on pumpkin, so I filled in the rest of the cup with some homemade apple sauce I had on hand. SUPER recipe! I know its good when my husband asks for a second piece.

9. Sue says

My daughter is allergic to nuts. Do you know if I could replace something for the nuts? Once the nuts are ground, do you have any idea how much it measures? Thank you.

I love this recipe, I didn’t have Quinoa flakes so I used steel cut oats, and I was out of eggs so I used a single serving of strawberry applesauce and even though it took longer to cook – 20 min. in my oven, it turned out great!

I didn’t have quinoa flakes so I used steel cut oats and I was out of eggs so I used a single serving of strawberry applesauce – it took longer to cook, about 20 min. more in my oven, but it was so good!!!