Pineapple & Coconut Quinoa

PinneappleQuinoa
Around 3:30 my time today, someone on Twitter said that they were having pineapple and coconut rice for dinner. YUM. I decided to make a version for dinner myself, using quinoa in place of rice, since I avoid grains as much as possible.
There are few times I have fallen so in love with a quinoa recipe as I did tonight. I don’t like the taste of quinoa, so it has to be really flavored up with other ingredients, like this was. Not only did the kids eat it up with me, but so did Andy, who never eats anything with quinoa. So you know it must have been seriously good ;-)
I really hope you try this one. Hugs, Kelly

Pineapple & Coconut Quinoa

Soak 1 cup of quinoa in water (to remove the bitter coating) while you:
Saute 1/3 cup finely chopped onions in about 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a medium size pot.
Puree in the blender:
about 1 cup chopped pineapple
1/3 cup coconut milk
Add enough vegetable or chicken broth to the pineapple and coconut puree to make 1 & 3/4 cup liquids.
Add the liquids to the onions in the pot and bring to simmer.
Strain the cup of quinoa that has been soaking and add it to the pot.
Simmer, lid on, for about 14 minutes.
Remove the lid and let rest for a few minutes.
Add:
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne, depending on your taste
1/2 tsp Herbamare or slightly less if you use plain sea salt
1.5 cups chopped pineapple
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups fresh finely chopped spinach
Optional: 2 tbsp Hemp Seeds (for nutrition—you can’t taste them in it)
Combine.

Comments

Hi Kelly! This is Wendy from the Cook and the Critic. It has been a while! I have been off pursuing my art business, but thought I would stop by and say hello. I just found out that I am allergic to yeast, dairy and eggs. Wheat was low, but only probably because I have been off of it for a year now. Any suggestions?

I was actually at the bulk bin the other day and saw that they took out the quinoa! I’m so sad. They might have even taken out the buckwheat!

Quinoa on its own is absolutely lovely to me! I think that is where you and I may differ (differences are good)–however sometimes I like it dressed up as well (however I could make a whole meal out of sprouted quinoa).

Thank you for the recipe! It gives me an idea…

Isn’t Quinoa considered a grain?

My daughter is allergic to rice plus other grains so we try to avoided a large consumption of grains. I assumed that Quinoa was a grain.

Stitches in Cotton, I may have it for breakfast tomorrow myself =)

Anna, I almost used almonds. That would be great too =)

Hi Wendy! Suggestions for what?

Hi Brandon, I get organic quinoa in bulk at Costco, and I hope they keep carrying it!

Hi Dionne, Quinoa is a seed, and a complete protein. =)

I just received your cookbook and am eager to get busy making milks and trying out some of the recipes. I told a friend of mine to check out your blog and she bought your cookbook immediately. :) Thank you for being a pioneer!!

Ooo, this is exciting! I have a mental block about eating Quinoa in place of another grain like rice.. (for me it’s the texture but also the flavor, like you said.) But I LOVE coconut and pineapple!

I hope i can give this a try soon :)

~Aubree Cherie

I was just starting to cook the quinoa and had the idea to add in coconut milk so I ran to the computer and found your blog, dumped the water out and made it as close as I could. Turned out pretty good. I added broccoli to get some green into it.

Wow! This recipe is fantastic! I have made this three times in the past week and just can’t get enough. I am 5 months pregnant and, with food issues similar to your family (grain free, dairy free, peanut free, etc, etc, etc), it has been a challenge to keep my body well fueled. I used sunflower seeds for the nuts and left out the spinach, but added green onions at the end for color. Simply delicious. Good warm, but best cold on day 2. Thanks, Kelly!