Lets talk about Coconut (sap) Sugar…

Recently a reader emailed me to ask if I had heard of coconut sap. “Coconut sap” is a brilliant name for what I’ve been calling “Coconut Sugar.” Why? Because the term, “sugar”, is associated with white refined sugar, which is very bad for you. White refined sugar leads to heart disease, and hypoglycemia, and causes obesity, and diabetes (just to name a few). White refined sugar also feeds the growth of cancer cells as well as yeast or candida.

When I clicked on the link this reader had sent me in her email, I read a fantastic explanation of coconut sap sugar. Then I cruised around some more and found other sites, which weren’t selling coconut sugar (meaning: they were unbiased), all confirming the same facts. Here’s what I discovered:
So, just what is coconut sugar?
The coconut tree’s stems, which are covered in small flowers, are tapped with hollow bamboo tubes. Once collected, the sap is simmered at low temperatures for about 45 to 90 minutes. And it’s done! The result is a caramel-colored granulated sweetener that can be used just like conventional table sugar. Along with stevia, it’s one of my favorite sugar substitutes.

Photos from Coconut Secret
And guess what? Tapping coconut tree sap is very sustainable.
Once tapped, the coconut sap flows for the next 20 years.
How cool is that?
What about the glycemic index? Coconut sap sugar is low at 35 on the glycemic index, compared to cane sugar, which is about 60.
Below is a chart of nutritional values from Nature’s Blessings:

Click on a chart to see it larger.
Where to find coconut sugar:
There are several coconut sugar brands, but the typical grocery store probably won’t carry them. Most health food stores will keep it shelved, but I buy mine from iHerb (and you’ll save $5 with your first order using code ROZ388).

References, charts, and photos:

Nature’s Blessings
Coconut Secret
Big Tree Farms

Now I will leave you with this, one of my favorite coconut sugar recipes, which we had for breakfast this morning. I posted it once before, and so many people tried it and loved it, but I wanted to include it here as well.
It’s so filling because the hemp seeds are 33% protein, and 9% omega 3, and the chia seeds are 2/3 omega 3, as well as omega 6. The coconut milk contains good fat that the body needs, in a form that is easily digested and converted to energy, rather than stored as fat in the body. The raw cacao (chocolate) powder is the highest form of antioxidants and magnesium of any food.
This combined with the coconut sugar is a real powerhouse of nutrition. Add some berries and it is so delicious. Zoe shrieked with excitement when she came down this morning and saw me scooping it into bowls =) I could have this for breakfast every day.

Coconut & Raw Cacao Pudding

Vegan, Raw-inspired
Add to blender:
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (not “lite”)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Chia Seed meal (I grind the seeds in my coffee grinder. 1/4 cup seeds is equal to about 1/2 cup meal)
3 tbsp Hemp Seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
Puree
Refrigerate about 8 hours.
Makes about 3 servings.
Variation: Take the pudding out of the fridge and throw it into the ice cream machine for about 10 minutes—Awesome ice cream! Fruit on top and it’s like a banana split :-)

Comments

Hi, I’ve recently been getting into Coconut “sugar”. I think it’s great – sometimes you need some options in sweeteners. I think it’s important to note that the source of the coconut sugar is important. I’ve read about companies who combine it with the white, refined sugar, something we do not want to consume.

This is very interesting. I have not tried coconut sugar (sap) yet but would love to give it a try, esp. based on the nutrition facts AND the fact that harvesting the sap is sustainable. How cool!

Also, the recipe looks easy and super yummy. I’ll have to give that a whirl, too.

Such a good point, Andrea. I have heard that too, but I have yet to see any of those coconut sugar combos, thankfully.

Thanks My Year Without! Think you may love it too =)

Love this recipe. I’ll have to try it. I got some coconut sugar for the first time a few weeks ago. The other day I made a caramel corn popcorn recipe using mostly coconut sugar with some agave in place of the normal sugar and corn syrup and it was so good!

Were you reading my mind?! Dipped into my jar of coconut sugar today and thought “I’ve got to sit down and research this lovely ingredient.” It is so very close in taste and texture to brown sugar! It’s got my thumbs up! Thanks for doing that research for us :) Got great reviews on the coffee cake BTW.

Thanks Hannah!

James, I get mine from Azure Standard co-op. We pick it up once a month. There’s no minimum amount you have to spend if you want to join. We were picking up near Loveland, but it we may be picking up in Longmont starting in mid May. I think Whole Foods in Boulder has it too. I saw it once at the one by the library, on Arapahoe.

I’ve been wondering if I should purchase some coconut “sap”, and this post cemented the idea. It’s fairly inexpensive, I suppose, so I might as well. It will be a good sweetener that I can blend in with my other favorites–xylitol, stevia and sometimes raw honey (also Sucanat, but at very low quantities.

Great information on coconut sap sugar. I never knew how it was made. That is good that they do not heat it above a certain temperature and keep it relatively low. The ice cream looks delicious :)

This post is very helpful, Kelly. I’m ordering coconut sugar the next time I place an online order. I already have all the other ingredients to make this recipe, so I’m getting closer than when you posted it the first time. ;-)

Thanks, Kelly!

Shirley

I agree with everyone else…this is a great post. I’ve been using coconut ‘sap’ and love it. It works beautifully in so many dishes. I think the taste is much like brown sugar but it’s not overly sweet.

PS – saw the tweet about your upcoming book. Congrats!

Oh.My.Word. I can’t believe this is breakfast!! I actually bought coconut (palm) “sugar” at my local grocery store. Thank you for the valuable information as well as the marvelous recipes!

12. Seattle Mom says

Just wondering if the Chocolate Pudding mixture can be put into an ice cream maker? Has anyone tried that? AND, do you really blend it for 10 MINUTES after you take it out of the fridge? My blender would probably keel over if it had to work that long. LOL Might be time for a new blender. We LOVE LOVE LOVE your Spunky Coconut Cookbook and can’t wait for the next one!

Thank you, Sandy!

Seattle Mom, Yes, I have tried that, and so have others—excellent ice cream. And thanks for catching my typo! I changed it—Meant to say, “put in the ice cream machine for 10 minutes…” xoxo

14. Dawn says

Kelly I am so Very glad that you addressed the coconut sugar because I couldn’t find it or anyone that had heard of it out here in the Indiana sticks. I found an organic palm sugar on line at the nutsonline website, but they don’t call it coconut sap, but it is from the coconut palm tree. I will eventually have all the items for these wonderful recipes-thanks again and again–Dawn

15. Beth says

Thanks for the recipe. It tasted good. I had never tried Hemp or Chia seeds. I will make it again. I couldn’t find coconut sugar. I had some date sugar that I needed to use up so I substituted that instead.

This looks SO good Kelly! I’ve really been enjoying your blog recently Kelly! I’m a long time lurker and I appreciate all the wonderful raw & vegan inspired recipes you share! Thank you!!

Thank you so much for your amazing blog! I made this yesterday and it is tasty, but mine never “set up”. I substituted flax seeds for the hemp and chia would that cause it?

Hi! Thanks for your lovely blog and recipes. I tried the pudding recipe twice, and although it tasted just like chocolate pudding — it never set properly. Any ideas why not? It was still good as a smoothie mixed with banana and ice.

Thanks!

19. Susanne says

hi kelly! quick question: what is “vanilla extract meal”? is it the same as the liquid vanilla extract, or was it a typo? i tried to google it and came up with a lot of fishing bait websites. (?) lol

thanks for sharing all your amazing goodies with us! i just found your blog and i’m so excited. can’t wait to try everything!

Coconut sugar is sustainable in that a farmer can tap a tree indefinitely. What Tropical Traditions doesn’t like is that this new demand for coconut sugar competes with a tree’s traditional use for producing coconut milk/oil/flour. If there is such a high demand for all these coconut products, then I don’t understand why this can’t be met by new coconut plantations: coconuts are grown all over Asia and S. America. I think TT’s concern is that their local growers are moving over to sugar production, which makes their particular supply of coconuts more difficult.

A lot of attention is given to glycemic index, but except for people with blood sugar/insulin disorders, I’m not sure it’s a very relevant measure. At least for athletic performance, higher glycemic index is usually a short term benefit.

I think what “ose” coconut sap is important. Sucrose (cane & beet sugar) and fructose (fruit & refined corn sugar) are more of the culprits, because what’s not used immediately by the body for fuel is stored in adipose tissue (not good) and in the liver (bad). Glucose however is stored in the muscles (better or good).

Coconut sap is 85 to 89% sucrose.

Tom

…Looks delicious! Thank you for the article on coconut sap. We replace the cacoa with carob powder…. Worth checking into it. :-)

Coconut sugar making is most common in tropical countries. This kind of sugar has a low-GI of 35. An indication of how quickly a specified amount of food will cause a rise in blood sugar level is Glycemic Index or GI means. Sugar substitute or artificial sweeteners like aspartame on the other hand has much more lower GI or sometimes no GI rating at all.

Great article but it’s not sap- I spent time this weekend with a coconut sugar manufacturer from Bali and he dispelled the common myth that has circulated through internet blogs that it is the sap- similar to maple syrup. It is not- it is the nectar of the flowers.