Chocolate Raspberry Cookie Bars

cookiebars

This morning I was over at Gluten Free Easily and saw some tasty looking cookie bars called, Magic Oat Bars. Since I didn’t have any oats and we have some more food restrictions, I had to change the recipe considerably, but I think Shirley would really love my version—I wish I could send you one, Shirley!

Chocolate Raspberry Cookie Bars

Add to bowl:
1 cup quinoa flakes
1/3 cup almond meal flour
1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp ghee (which is casein-free), liquified
2 tbsp coconut oil, liquified
OR 4 tbsp of either ghee or coconut oil (use all coconut oil for vegan bars)
Combine
Pour into lightly greased square baking dish.
Spread evenly.
Melt over lowest heat:
1/4 cup coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Combine and immediately remove from heat (so the chocolate doesn’t burn).
(Optional: Skip this step and use dairy-free chocolate chips, about 1/3 cup instead)
Add to measuring cup:
3/4 cup coconut milk + 5 drops chocolate raspberry liquid stevia
Pour over quinoa (crust).
Drop chocolate mixture (or chips if substituting) on top of crust and coconut milk.
Drop 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar-free raspberry jam (I use St. Dalfour) on top as well, like this:

Top with 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

and 1/2 cup chopped nuts.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

Refrigerate about 8 hours. —I cheated and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours, then the fridge for a couple more—that works too =)
It solidifies from chilling.
Thanks for being my inspiration, Shirley! I’m so blessed to have friends like you!
XOXO, Kelly

Comments

Kelly–You’re such a sweetheart with all your kind words! You know I feel the same way about you. :-)

I DO love what you did! I knew you’d take this recipe and run with it when you left your comment. ;-) Your version looks absolutely fabulous, of course. I love all the coconutty goodness and the fact you used cocoa vs chocolate chips. I had never heard of that flavor of stevia. It sounds just right for this flavor combination. I do have one question. Do you have to keep the bars chilled?

Shirley

Thanks Jessica!

Thanks Shirley! I know =) As for keeping them chilled—probably. I don’t think they could be picked up like a bar if they were room temperature. But we did eat some when they were warm from the oven and not solid and they were still yummers =)

3. Johanna says

Woohoo! Looks like such a fun recipe! Just curious: which brand of coconut sugar do you like to use? Also, I have yet to see quinoa flakes anywhere. Do you order yours online? I am just venturing out into the world of online grocery shopping this week, starting with those stevia drops you use all the time! :)

Thanks Johanna! Whole Foods usually have all of my ingredients, and often local health food stores do also. Or you can get them online. I have a list on the right side of my blog called, “Can’t find my ingredients…” Let me know where you end up getting them =)

PS I once asked someone in Whole Foods where the Quinoa Flakes were, and he said they didn’t have them, but then I found them myself on a low shelf in the aisle with cereal bars and hot cereal.

Oh my, these look heavenly! I’m thinking amaranth flakes (allergic to quinoa) or maybe millet. Strawberry jam would also be good, or orange marmalade (very easy to find sugar-free for me). Orange and chocolate sounds like a heavenly combo. I wonder what nuts would go with it?

7. Jennifer R. says

These look yummy, Kelly. Definitely on my list to make!! Thanks!!! And I even have quinoa flakes now (I think I ordered them from amazon since my grocery store didn’t have them).

I recently purchased “The Spunky Coconut” cookbook and then, just this evening, found the blog.

As a family with one child with autism and with all of us eating gluten free and casein free, I find the recipes in the book and on this blog very refreshing and a welcome change from many of the run-of-the-mill recipes so many GFCF cookbook authors out there are publishing.

Thank you! So glad I found this site!

I was just told that I had a gluten intolerance (I kind of always had an idea, but it had never been for sure) and I’m so glad I found your website! This looks fantastic! I can’t wait to try it!

That looks so delicious! I wish I had some for breakfast this morning! I might have to whip some of these bars up tonight for the rest of this week! Thanks Kelly!! And I agree with you, Shirley has some amazing recipes!

Hi Kelly, thank you for your egg fee recipes. I’ve been looking for recipes for my daughter who can’t have eggs, soy, nuts, dairy, wheat, oats. Can I replace the almond meal with anything? I saw a few other recipes I would like to try as well but they contain almond meal. Also could I use energ egg replacer in place of the chai(sp) or flax seeds in the coconut flour recipes? I’ve spent over $70 on ingredients so far and have only been able to make pancakes that weren’t great at all. THANKS SO MUCH!

12. Susan W. says

Hey, Kelly. These look fatastic! I was wondering if you could use almond milk instead of the coconut milk. Would it be thick enough? I’m so ready to try this recipe. I’ve really been cutting back on my sugar and don’t want to use sweetened condenced milk so yours look yummy!

Thanks guys!

Tisha, Sorry, I don’t know. You would have to experiment.

Susan, I think so, but I would keep the coconut oil. The coconut oil hardens in the fridge, which is what holds it together :-)

14. Susan W. says

Kelly, I made these with the almond milk that I use on my cereal, all coconut oil, and sugar free seedless blackberry jam. They are so yummy! It’s going to be hard to share the pan! I’m going to try with coconut milk and ghee next time and see which I like best. Which do you suggest, canned coconut milk or boxed refrigerated coconut milk?