Cashew Sour Cream & Cream Cheesedairy-free, vegan, raw

Another friend on the Spunky Coconut Facebook Page, Lisa, reminded me of this great recipe: Cashew Sour Cream. I hadn’t made it in over a year, and I was so grateful to Lisa for making it and bringing it up. She also suggested this link for more great nut cheese recipes. Thanks Lisa!

This is not my recipe—If you google Cashew Sour Cream you can find pretty much the same proportions on a bunch of sites. All of them saying the same thing too: This sour cream is so good, and so much like dairy sour cream. I love it.
I made Cashew Sour Cream again the other day, and dipped my sweet potato fries in it. Mmm…
Then last night we had a friend over, and made this pizza in the top photo. We used my egg-free bagel recipe for the crust, rolled it out and baked it for 15 minutes. Then we topped it with our cashew cream cheese, sundried tomato sauce, caramelized onions and olives. It was so good, my friend and I were naming all the other things we wanted to eat with the cashew cream cheese. She said steamed asparagus and cashew cream cheese—I can’t wait to try that one! Next Friday, hon? ;-)

Cashew Sour Cream/Cream Cheese

Soak 1 cup of cashews about 8 hours. Strain, rinse in fresh water & strain again.
Add to the food processor of blender with:
1 to 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 to 4 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp sea salt or Herbamare seasoning
Puree till creamy and smooth.
I like to add a pinch of onion powder to mine too. Yum.

Comments

Thanks for the shout out. :-) I haven’t used ACV before in my cashew sour cream, and I’ve recently been adding a tsp or so of nutritional yeast to try to get the desired tang. I’ll have to try your recipe next time and see if it’s the missing ingredient. Thanks!

This is good timing. I am trying to talk myself into going dairy-free to see if it will make my acne go away. I can’t figure out how to live without cream or cheese. Cheese, on pizza and tacos. Cream in my coffee or tea. Thank you for the link.

So yummy! I’ve been wanting to make cashew cream for a while now and your post inspired me. Thanks, it’s so good. The only danger is I could eat it with a spoon…all of it!

Where do you get your nuts? I’m guessing you use enough of them to need to buy in bulk, but rancidity is an issue with nuts (esp. cashews, which are never sold in the shells). Do you have a favorite supplier?

Where does one find quinoa flakes?

And what is cream of buckwheat?

Hi Rachel,

Cream of buckwheat is a hot cereal, and you can find it, as well as Quinoa Flakes at Whole Foods and other health food stores, as well as Amazon. I do buy nuts in bulk, and keep them in the fridge and freezer. I get them from Azure Standard. There is a list of links to the stores where I buy my ingredients under, “Can’t find my ingredients…” on the right hand side of my blog. =)

This looks even better here than the little photo on your FB post! Very nice, Kelly. It’s funny how we forget old favorites … I think we need a little tickler to come up. You know how on FB, you’ll see a message like “you haven’t connnected with X in a while, would you like to connect now?” The blog message could be “you haven’t used your cashew sour cream in a recipe in a while, would you like to create a new recipe with cashew sour cream now?” ;-)

Shirley

I’m wondering if it possible to use cashew butter for these recipes? I’m thrilled to find the recipe as my son doesn’t like most of the cashew recipes with nutritional yeast … so I look forward to giving this an effort.

I am so excited to find these recipes! My daughter has multiple allergies, and there is no cheese substitute of any kind available in stores that is safe for her. I have one question for you: how necessary is the lemon juice? She has a citrus sensitivity and I’m wondering if it would still work if that was left out, or if you have a suggestion for something I could substitute in its place.

9. Cori says

I forgot to soak the cashews, so made it with unsoaked cashews and it was delicious! I just had to add more water. My husband, who is not dairy-free and is quite the lover of sour cream, was very skeptical, but couldn’t stop raving about it. He’s willing to replace sour cream with the cashew version! We will be making this frequently. Thanks!

Kel, while making this last nite I decide to add 3 tbsp of coconut butter since it was sitting on my counter…..delicious & creamy.
    How long do you keep soaked/rinsed cashews in the fridge?
    ncherven@yahoo.com

Hi! I’m a new reader to your site! I did a search for cashew cheese sauce (or something like that) and voila – here I am!
    I soaked my cashews last night and am just about to make this recipe! We only eat a few dairy products these days, but my daughter loves dairy sour cream so fingers crossed this pleases her!
    Thank you for a wonderful blog!
    ~Rebecca

This was yummy, but I definitely recommend leaving it in the fridge over night before eating. Doing that gives the flavors a chance to mingle and the consistency of the creme is so much better. Thanks for the recipe!

i’ve made cashew cream cheese & sour cream a few times, and this is definitely the best recipe i’ve found! love the addition of onion powder… even impressed my dairy-loving husband! yay :)