Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

glutenfreecookies2

I may have mentioned already on the Spunky Coconut Facebook Page, but we made cookies using the Goji Chocolate Pie Crust. I’m not a big cookie person myself; I’d rather eat the cookie dough =) My husband and kids on the other hand, love baked cookies. The good news is that this gluten free chocolate chip cookies recipe is great either way—cooked or raw. I’m really looking forward to whipping up some vanilla ice cream and adding this cookie dough =)

I made a few additions the second time I made these cookies, but they were good the first time too—exactly like the Pie Crust recipe. The only reason I made any alterations was because the crust doesn’t like to stick together as a cookie with chocolate chips in it, and I was trying to make our lives a little easier ;-) Here they are with the changes:

Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies

(egg-free and grain free)
Add to bowl:
1/2 cup applesauce
3 tbsp flax seed meal or 1.5 tbsp Chia Seed meal
1/2 tsp guar gum
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup honey or coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil or ghee (which is casein-free), liquified
Mix with electric mixer.
Add:
1 cup almond meal flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
Mix again.
Roll into balls and flatten the balls in your hands. (they don’t really change shape in the oven)
Or roll out with a rolling pin and use cookie cutters =)
Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.

Comments

PS I watch for it to go on sale through Azure, then it’s around 22 dollars for 5 pounds (it’s normally like $27 for 5 pounds on Azure). Cheers, Kelly

So I live with THE Cookie Monster… Seriously!! I’m going to make both the pie crust cookie and the chocolate chip cookie… what cookie is the current front runner?
    THANKS :)

These look wonderful, Kelly! I’ll go with the cookies versus the dough, although I admit almond flour changes the equation a bit. ;-) Doing the mental checkoff of the ingredients list to see if I have what I need …

Shirley

I made these last night and they are delicious! My daughter has a pretend wooden cookie set and I wanted to make a roll of dough for her to cut apart just like her pretend set. It was fantastic and she loved it! It was the first time she got to make cookies and eat the dough off the beaters :)

Thanks Shirley!

Hi Kate, I’m not sure if that would work. Let us know =)

Liesel, Thank you so much for telling me! You made my day! Hugs!

Do you think I could make this into biscotti? I might try tonight. I’m thinking it should work- just a matter of getting the baking times correct. Since they were soft when baked as cookies I don’t think it would hurt them to be twice baked as you do for biscotti. I’ll let you know how it goes :)

Kelly-

Made these tonight (minus the chocolate chips since I didn’t have any).

They were pretty good…but they didn’t come out like yours.

You said you can use honey, so I did…and the batter came out kinda runny….So there was no way that I could cut out shapes from this dough..I just made “circles” with loose balls of dough.
    I was going to eat some of the dough raw (yipee!) but found it had a really sour taste? from the apple cider vinegar maybe? After baking it’s almost unnoticeable. :)Just wondering what the vinegar does and if I could take it out or decrease it? The taste was really strong even through the honey and stevia covering it up. I followed your recipe also as mentioned using flax seed. The only changed I made were to use xanthum gum for the guar (I can’t find guar around here!) and some home ground almond flour…which it a fine meal…I don’t think that would’ve messed it up though? But maybe? Oh, and earth balance melted for the ghee…..I don’t think that would change it though……but man, maybe I did change it too much?

Any ides to why it tasted like it does and why it came out like it did?

They are still yummy enough luckily…since I’ve had to stop myself after 4! :) Thank goodness they are pretty yummy even though they didn’t come out as I expected and are pretty soft. :)

Let me know.
    Ari

These are ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! This is the first recipe I’ve tried since going grain-free that made me jump for joy. Thank you!!

Quick question: what chemical purpose does the Apple Cider Vinegar serve?

Thanks guys!

Wendi, You can use more flax meal or chia meal :-)

Ari, I’ve never used Earth Balance, so I would guess that was it. If they look too runny next time, I would add more flour.

Ari & Madeline, The reason I use apple cider vinegar is because it reacts with baking soda to give a little rise. These don’t rise much, so you could probably leave it out if you like :-)

10. Catherine says

Kelly,

Do you think with your recipes it would work to substitute only liquid stevia for honey/coconut sugar to make them sugar free (only stevia) or do you think they would not come out as well since the honey/coconut sugar provides some substance in the recipe? Thanks Kelly!

Hi Catherine:

I just finished making these without the honey. I doubled the stevia and mashed in 1/2 a banana I had leftover from breakfast. I used a number 40 scoop and it made 14 cookies. Go for it! I baked them for 4 more minutes. But that might just be my
    oven.

I’ve made these before just as printed here and they were wonderful, too.

Karen

12. Camila says

These cookies look amazing! Do they turn out soft and chewy or crunchy? Do you think it would work to substitute an egg for the chia or flax seed meal and if so, do you know how it might change the cookie texture?

13. Dusky Lady says

ooooooh this is so good! im jus tastin the dough right now! joy 2 my tastbuderoonies. lol. thanks 4 the recipe!!!!!!

ok, made these for the first time today. half of them were gone before they were cool enough to eat, the other half were gone about 2 minutes later. holy. cows. LOVE THEM!

Hi Kelly!
    It’s so good to see another grain free, (almost) sugar free blog :) I have a few questions though. Can you substitute the flax and stevia for anything else? I’m allergic to those :( otherwise all your recipes look amazing and thank you for them!!

Thanks guys!

I don’t know how they would be with egg rather than chia/flax. You can use chia in place of flax though. You need half as much chia as flax. Also, you can omit the stevia, they just wont be as sweet.

Kelly,
    If you leave out the chocolate chips and add about 2 T cocoa powder, they make excellent cookies for ice cream sandwiches! Also homemade date puree works great in the place of honey.

Is there anything GFCFSF that I can use in place of the almond flour? We’re allergic to tree nuts too, but you have a bunch of recipes with almond flour I’m dying to try.

I’m guessing coconut flour, but I haven’t had the guts to try it :)

19. Carol says

These cookies turned out amazing! I used dates and erythritol as my sweetener. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes. Thank you so much.

I just made your chocolate cookies for the first time…They taste fantastic, however, they are quite chewy. Are they supposed to be like that or more crispy? I must admit that I made one modification, that always works in your recipes–I substituted Canola oil (which is Canadian–it means Canadian Oil, low acid. It comes from the mustard family). The cookie dough was very sticky, probably because I didn’t use coconut oil. Can you give me a hint on how to make my cookies crispier? Keep up the good work.

I’d like to reply to some of the comments…I usually leave out the stevia from the recipes posted here, because I find it way too expensive for my budget. The recipes haven’t suffered so far. If you’re allergic to nuts, sometimes millet works well, however, it DOESN’T work in pie crust (tried it–yuck!!). You could probably use Sorghum or Brown Rice, but you would have to increase the liquid a bit as the final product won’t be as moist. Hope this helps!!!

I made these this past weekend for my son. He went to a carnival with lots of candy. We made a deal – he’d give all his candy to his friends and I’d make him cookies to share. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

This recipe looks wonderful. My son is allergic to a number of grains, eggs as well as nuts. Do you know of a good alternative to the Almond flour?

These are amazing! I’ve been grain free for about 8 months, and was recently diagnosed with egg and dairy allergies. I thought my sweet treats were a thing of the past. NOT SO! Thank you for your wonderful low sugar, vegan, grain free recipes. Even my kids who CAN eat all the other stuff love these.

25. Love says

Love says

I use hazelnut flour as I can’t have almonds. Also I’ve ground seeds in a coffee grinder for flour like sunflower or pepetas. I also grind cashews makes great sauces.

Have you tried unsweetened carob chips for these instead of the chocolate chips that have evaporated cane juice as the first ingredients? My doctor has me on a gluten/sugar/dairy/soy free diet that the only type of sweetner I can have is stevia so I usually replace any agave/honey with stevia too. Was just wondering. I’m having a HUGE craving for chocolate chip cookies right now :P

kate- from my own experience of using leftover almond mulch from almond milk and grinding it further to make almond flour is that it releases more oil than blanched almond flour that you buy at the store. So my conversion that I found that works best for me is that for every 1 cup of homemade almond flour from almond milk =’s 1/2 cup of oil that you dont need to add to your baking so for this recipe you could add a half cup of homemade almond flour and not add any additional oil since there will be about 1/4cup of oil released from the almonds. Hope this helps :)

29. Jamie says

I can’t decide if these cookies or the Paleo Chocolate Cake are better. Both turned out perfect! Two of my favorite recipes.