Gluten Free Marble Cake

MarbleBlackBeanCake
This cake is so decorative and so delicious. You might say it tastes as good as it looks ;-) I thought it would be perfect for a party or your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day. It’s not an entirely new recipe. I just used my Vanilla Bean Cake recipe, and substituted 1/2 cup cocoa powder to make the black bean chocolate cake layer. I baked it in a square dish because I thought it would look nice cut it into squares.

Gluten Free Marble Cake

(This will make 2 square cakes)
First make the chocolate layer.

Chocolate Cake

Add to food processor:
2 cups cooked beans (black or white), room temperature, so they don’t cook the eggs (I make mine myself by soaking dry white beans overnight. In the morning I rinse them well, and cook them.)
6 eggs
3/4 tsp vanilla liquid stevia or chocolate raspberry liquid stevia (do not measure over the batter, just in case it spills out)

1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey

Puree well.

Add:
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)

Puree well.

Divide into two square (greased & floured) dishes.
Rinse the food processor and repeat the recipe, but substitute 1/3 cup coconut flour in place of the cocoa powder.

Vanilla Bean Cake

Pour half of the Vanilla Bean Cake on top of each chocolate layer.

Combine

Swirl the layers, and lift some of the chocolate layer up with a fork.
Sprinkle with dairy-free chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life).
Bake the two cakes at 325 degrees for about 32 minutes.
XOXO, Kelly

Comments

Hi Kelly!

Your cake looks unbelievable! What is the Vanilla Stevia used for since you also use vanilla and honey? I am just curious, I have never cooked with Stevia before and it looks really interesting.

All the best,
    Heidi Kelly

Kelly! You should have seen my eyes when I looked at your blog this morning.. look at that cake!! It looks so cakey like “normal” wheat cake – augh! If only I could have some right now! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Heidi! That’s a great question. The reason I use the liquid Vanilla Creme Stevia is so I need very little vanilla extract and honey. Stevia is super concentrated and sweet. Using it keeps the cost down, and since stevia is very low on the glycemic index it won’t spike your blood sugar. It takes me months to go through a tiny bottle of it. So glad you asked :-)

Thanks Meagan! It tastes “normal” too! Woohoo!

The cake looks yummy!
    When you say that you are avoiding grains, I always wonder to myself what you eat in a given week. This would be an interesting post. When I think of going grain-free, it eliminates most of my dinner options.

This looks fabulous! I made your pumpkin pancakes last night and just had some more tonight with applesauce and aguave – delicious!
    Your recipes are everything I’m looking for; gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and sugar-free! It doesn’t get any better that this! Thanks Kelly.

Thanks Palmer!

Thanks GF Gidget!

Thanks Alchemille!

Thanks Fayinagirl!

Thanks Lisa!

Thanks Kelli! That would be! But I’m not completely grain-free :-)

Thanks Sandy! I’ve been meaning to make those lately myself :-) So happy your happy!

I follow Kelli’s idea.
    Have you considered posting a weekly meal planning of some sort?

I follow a few blogs and some of them have meal plannings. I have found some interesting recipes and inspirations this way (esp. for restricted diets).

I’ll see what I can do. I never plan our week because we eat a hodge-podge of leftovers, and whatever I can throw together. Last night we had pancakes on a whim because we’re sorely lacking in food right now, and this morning we had leftover marble cake and goji chocolate pie (there wasn’t enough cake to go around). It would be fun to try though. Maybe I’ll start with writing down what we eat this week and see what it looks like =)

Hi Kelly,

I’m so happy to have found you! Your working on eliminating the same types of things that I am! :)

I too love Chia seeds!! I am so glad that you’ve figured out Ranch and Honey Dijon Dressing, that means I don’t have to!! :) YEAH!!! hehe

So nice to meet you

Annie

Thanks Hannah! Happy February!

Thanks Annie! So great to “meet” you too! =)

Thanks Iris!

Thanks Pete! haha! I don’t know what I’m making yet actually. Maybe!

Thanks Shirley! I will check that out =)

Kelly,

For white beans, do you mean navy or another type? The cake looks beautiful. I’m not sure if I have posted this before, but it took reading your and Elana Amsterdam’s blog to figure out how to bake GF and I am very grateful for it! I relax via baking, and my continued successes lately have been very uplifting.

Happy Sunday,
    Amber

My family loves chocolate so much that I’ve not yet tried a vanilla cake. But this recipe – especially with the raspberry liquid stevia – looks so delicious that I’ll just have to try it out!

hey kelly- i made this this afternoon, but something didn’t go quite right… when i added the white layer on top it went to the bottom and the chocolate came up. i think somehow the chocolate layer was too light and not thick enough to support the white layer. i haven’t tasted it yet, but it just looks like a chocolate cake now. any ideas? thanks! :)

i am sending this recipe to a bakery to have them try to make it for a wedding cake testing :) they don’t use stevia and i haven’t either. any ideas on how to make this recipe work with evaporated cane juice?

Hi Lisa! I don’t know for sure, but I bet it would be pretty easy to convert. I would add extra vanilla extract (to make up for taking out the vanilla stevia) and maybe 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice? Let us know what you decide! =)

I made the chocolate version. The batter tasted fantastic until I added the baking soda and baking powder. Then it became bitter. I would like to try making this again with only the baking soda to see if it would preserve the texture but taste great as well. Do you have any ideas?

I just made your vanilla bean cake recipe again…it’s so delicious and moist and nutritious!

Have you ever made the chocolate variation (ie, using the 1/2 cup cocoa powder instead of the 1/3 cup coconut flour) by itself, not in marble cake form? Thanks!

hi kelly,
    i am struggling with putting my family on an anti candida diet, since i suffer with it so greatly. i’ve read conflicting reports… honey is fine, honey is bad… legumes are fine… legumes are bad… i read that your precious little one battles candida as well. how does she tolerate your grain free cakes with honey?
    thanks for your time!
    christina

Hi Kelly,
    I made this last night for my daughter’s baptism today. It was delicious!

I used about 3/4 of each of the batters and did it in a 9×13 pan at 325 degrees for about 35 minutes.

I also topped it with buttercream frosting and decorated. Thanks for the recipe!

Jill

20. Sandy says

This cake looks awesome! I am curious if you might have tips for reducing or eliminating the eggs in this recipe? I can usually sub out eggs successfully when a recipe only calls for 1-2, but not sure if it will work the same to sub out 6, as that seems like an integral part of the recipe. Thoughts?

what a wonderful looking marble cake! i tried it just last Tuesday and what a wonderful tasting marble cake as well! lol – thank you!

This cake is scrumptious! I made it exactly as written, but poured it into cupcake pans. It made 24 cupcakes PLUS an extra little loaf pan of cake. We LOVE this, just as we love your Vanilla Bean cake alone. Thanks so much for sharing. I just got your new cookbook and we also love the Coyote Bars and the Onion rolls. (Made 3 of your recipes since yesterday!) Thanks for making it a little easier for my kids to live HAPPILY with dietary limitations.

23. FPIES Mama says

Hi Kelly!!
    My son suffers from a very rare allergy called FPIES. He is allergic to all grains (severely allergic requiring hospitalization not intolerant) I just wanted to tell you your blog is fantastic!! it’s his 4th birthday this weekend and I am going to make him his very first cake!!! i’m really excited about this :o)
    just a question though, I can’t get my hands on vanilla stevia, is regular stevia an ok sub? should I add extra vanilla? thanks so much!

24. terriergirl says

What an ingenious recipe! My family had a marvelous marble cake recipe, and it has always been my favorite cake of the many gorgeous cakes my grandmother made. Since finding out I had to avoid gluten, dairy and soy, life has been essentially cakeless. Last night, I whipped up your glorious marble cake, with just a few tweaks. I cannot believe how the beans disappeared so completely in both taste and texture. I was out of coconut flour, so I used an equal portion of brown rice flour instead. I’m not a stevia fan, and I no longer use honey; I substituted a scant 1/3 cup of agave, since I often find that too sweet. In hindsight, I would add another teaspoon of vanilla, as well as a scant 1/2 cup of agave. Nevertheless, I’m thrilled to have a marble cake I can actually eat. My rather fussy partner, who can eat whatever she wants, thought your recipe was nearly indistinguishable from my grandmother’s, and that’s an enormous compliment. Thanks so much for inventing such incredible recipes. I’ve become adept at creating my own savory GF/DF/SF recipes, but I have neither the resources nor the patience to spend so much time experimenting with baked goods. With such talented bakers out there in GF land, I can save my time for things at which I do excel. Keep up the great work, and enjoy your holidays

Awesome cake! so want to make this, just couple questions. i only have a small food processor, can i just process the beans and mix it all together? also, what would be the measurements for just vanilla and honey, no liquid stevia (can’t find it)? :)

The cake turned out fine except it does not fit in one bundt cake pan. It overflowed, so I’d be sure to use 2 bundt pans in the future or 2 square cake pans instead.

27. Emma says

Hi Kelly,
    Thank you for a great recipe. I used this recipe to make lamingtons for Australia day on the weekend. If you do not know what Lamigtons are, they are a sponge or madeira cake that is cut into squares and dipped in chocolate icing and covered in coconut. The density of your cake was great for soaking up the icing which I made with powered sugar, coconut milk, cocoa and coconut oil. Once again thank you from Australia, I love using your recipes.
    Cheers