Gluten Free Bagels : Cinnamon Raisin
or Onion Poppy Seed
3 tablespoons flax seed meal or 1 and ½ tablespoons white chia seed meal (I grind my chia seeds in a Magic Bullet)
¾ teaspoon guar gum
2 teaspoons cinnamon and ¼ cup raisins (for cinnamon raisin bagels) OR 1 teaspoon onion powder (for onion and poppy seed bagels)
½ cup coconut flour, sifted
½ cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Note: I have tried these without the gum and it didn’t work.
3 tablespoons applesauce, with no added sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup cashew milk (or other nut milk), warmed slightly (so it won’t harden the oil)
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup melted ghee or coconut oil
1. Set the oven to 350F.
2. Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
3. In a separate bowl add the wet ingredients and mix with an electric mixer.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine with an electric mixer.
5. Form the dough into a ball with your hands. I put some oil on my hands so the dough doesn’t stick to them.
6. Break the ball of dough into 4 pieces, roughly the same size.
7. Roll each ball in your hands, then push your thumb through the middle, and shape the dough into a ring around your thumb.
8. Smooth the bagels as best as you can with your fingers, then lay them on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Leave a few inches between each bagel on the sheet.
9. If making onion poppy seed bagels, wet the tops slightly then press the bagels into poppy seeds.
10. Bake the bagels for about 25 minutes.
Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for more free recipes and exclusive giveaways!