Gluten Free Bagels : Onion Poppy Seed & Cinnamon Raisin (egg free)

GlutenFreeBagels
Lately we have been crazy about these gluten free bagels. Our two favorite flavors are Onion Poppy Seed and Cinnamon Raisin. Let me know if you try one, or if you create a flavor of your own :-)

Gluten Free Bagels : Cinnamon Raisin
or Onion Poppy Seed

Dry Ingredients:
3 tablespoons flax seed meal or 1 and ½ tablespoons white chia seed meal (I grind my chia seeds in a Magic Bullet)
¾ teaspoon guar gum
2 teaspoons cinnamon and ¼ cup raisins (for cinnamon raisin bagels) OR 1 teaspoon onion powder (for onion and poppy seed bagels)
½ cup coconut flour, sifted
½ cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

Note: I have tried these without the gum and it didn’t work.

Wet Ingredients:
3 tablespoons applesauce, with no added sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup cashew milk (or other nut milk), warmed slightly (so it won’t harden the oil)
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup melted ghee or coconut oil

1. Set the oven to 350F.
2. Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
3. In a separate bowl add the wet ingredients and mix with an electric mixer.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine with an electric mixer.
5. Form the dough into a ball with your hands. I put some oil on my hands so the dough doesn’t stick to them.
6. Break the ball of dough into 4 pieces, roughly the same size.
7. Roll each ball in your hands, then push your thumb through the middle, and shape the dough into a ring around your thumb.
8. Smooth the bagels as best as you can with your fingers, then lay them on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Leave a few inches between each bagel on the sheet.
9. If making onion poppy seed bagels, wet the tops slightly then press the bagels into poppy seeds.
10. Bake the bagels for about 25 minutes.

Serves 4.

Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter for more free recipes and exclusive giveaways!

Comments

Wow, Kelly – these look great! I have been wondering, what is the purpose of vinegar in your recipes – does it help the product to rise? Also, could I use eggs instead of chia seeds?

Thanks Meagan! Yes, it helps it rise. I have a similar recipe that you could try using eggs. I’ve been meaning to myself. It’s my “braided” bread. Let me know if you do :-)

thanks so much for the recipe kelly- i made these yesterday. the taste was great, but i can’t say they really resembled yours! ;) they were flat and cracked a lot. any ideas? thanks!

Noosh, I think climate has so much to do with baking things like bagels. I would try more liquid or oil to prevent cracking and maybe more baking soda or powder for rising. I hope that helps!

Thanks so much for this recipe, Kelly! They came out great and my son loved them, both of which are always exciting :) I haven’t looked at your bun recipe, yet, but I am thinking if I just forgo the whole, these would be great buns, maybe that’s the bun recipe :) I’m excited, perfect for summer bbque’s!

Hi Kelly!
    I would like to try this recipe but my son cannot eat apples, neither he can vinegar.. but he can eggs… how can I substitute vinnegar and applesauce?
    Thanks!
    Zuzana

7. Janice says

Kelly, THANK YOU!! This is the first, and I mean the first baked good that my son has liked since he’s had to go on a very special diet with no grains, no sweeteners, no eggs and no dairy. I have tried many things, but this is the only one he’s liked. I made the bagels plain without the honey or cinnamon and raisins. He wants to eat them everyday, all day long he says! Sending you love and gratitude from Texas!!

8. Leah says

Do you know if this will multiply well to make a big batch & freeze some? I’ve been dying tofind a good bagels recipe since I omitted white flour from our diets.

I love your recipes! Thank you so much! I will be off to look at your cookbook info!
    One question, if I don’t have tapioca flour for instance could I use a different flour like millet or use brown rice flour instead of the coconut? Are the flours interchangeable or I need these specific one for this recipe? I am new to the gluten free. Thank you!

Kelly,
    Saw these on FB via Lexie, and checked them out thinking they would be full of nut flour – and they’re not! Yay!! I can switch the cashew milk for non-nut milk, and I can have these! And there is no yeast, so my friend with a yeast allergy can as well.
    I’m making them soon!!

Thank you so much – oh, and the 6 mos. pic & stellar pie are lovely, too! :)

xo,
    Gigi

11. Kim S says

We have an apple intolerance what do you recommend to substitute. I usually use pear sauce for apple sauce but what about the apple cider vinegar? Love you blog & recipes.

Hi Kelly,

I just had to let you know that I made these bagels (the cinnamon verssion) a couple of days ago and I was blown away at how good they are, I even blogged about them (linking back to your recipe of course), Thank you so much!

Hi Kelly!
    Made these again tonight…eating one now. This is one of my favorite recipes of yours! :) Love all them though! :)
    Sarah Rosney

I am also wondering if there is something you can use instead of coconut flour – can’t get it here! Thanks for the GREAT looking recipe.

and I made these right after I made the sandwich rolls… spot on Kelly! Seriously awesome! Thank you so much for these recipes. I can’t believe they don’t taste like coconut! And my husband has even enjoyed them!!

These looks great!! Could I replace Tapioca Flour with something else?? Have some troubles finding this flour in Norway :-)
    Merry Christmas Kelly!

Tove

17. hemhawseesaw says

Thank you for this recipe! It is so hard to find baked goods free from gluten, eggs, dairy and refined sugar! I made these as 6 small bagels in my doughnut tin and added blueberries. They taste just as I remember!

18. Afrina says

Hi Kelly!

I just made these as onion poppy seed bagels. They tasted good, but mine came out pretty heavy and dense. Is the texture supposed to be that way or should it be more light? If so, I think the mistake I might have made was that since I didn’t use an electric beater, I don’t think the dough mixed well because I still saw some clumps of the flaxseed in the dough. Also, since currently we have an ant issue going on in the kitchen, I put my honey and the flours in the refrigerator which hardened the coconut oil even though I had melted it. I just kept trying to mix it. So, I’m guessing my ingredients just didn’t incorporate well enough which made it heavy and dense? Next time, I will use an electric beater and have stuff at room temperature. Ok, let me know about how the texture should be please. Thank you!

Thanks for these! I made them with orange peel and dried cranberries. Subbed lemon juice for the vinegar. Yum.

I just found these on pinterest and made a batch of each tonight… they are PERFECT!! My family has a variety of allergies and I can’t even say how excited I am to have something we can ALL eat that is so simple and so delicious!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

21. Mcooks says

This may seem like a strange question, but I live in an area where it is really hard to find baking soda. (It is often used to cut drugs.) So, can I just use more baking powder? Thank you for your help. I am relatively new to gluten-free, etc., cooking and appreciate your site. :-)

22. Maria says

Hey!
    Is it possible to do this without neither of they gums???
    Or would it better possible to do it without making powder and just more baking soda
    (I can’t so baking powder)

So sorry for the trouble

Appreciate your work

23. Lauren C says

Any suggestions for an applesauce replacement? I’m allergic to apples. :( I know that I can successfully substitute coconut vinegar for the apple cider vinegar, it’s just that darn applesauce I can’t figure out! :) Forgive me if you already answered this question. Thank you so much for all your recipes!!!!

24. Caroline says

Hi ! Can I substitute a different gluten free flour like Sorghum flour in these, instead of coconut flour? Would I just use more?

Thank you!

25. Christy says

I have regular chia seeds (the dark ones) but none of the white ones on hand. Can I just use what I have, or is there a particular reason the white ones work better?

I am excited to try these. I have recently found out that I cannot eat eggs — and that basically took away my coconut flour goodies. Yea! A recipe with no eggs! THANK YOU.

27. Carrie S says

Hi! My 18 mo daughter is allergic to everything including coconut. Can I use different flour? Rice flour? Thanks!! :)