Gluten Free Bagels : Onion Poppy Seed & Cinnamon Raisin (egg free)

GlutenFreeBagels
Lately we have been crazy about these gluten free bagels. Our two favorite flavors are Onion Poppy Seed and Cinnamon Raisin. Let me know if you try one, or if you create a flavor of your own :-)

Cinnamon Raisin or Onion Poppy Seed Bagels

egg-free!
Add to mixing bowl:

3 tbsp golden flaxmeal OR 1.5 tbsp Chia Seed meal (I grind my seeds in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet.)
3 tbsp applesauce
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

3/4 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
1/4 cup cashew milk (or other milk substitute) (How to Make Cashew Milk Video)
Beat with electric mixer.

Add, preferably in this order:
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup ghee (which is casein-free) or coconut oil, soft or liquified
2 tsp cinnamon & 1/4 cup raisins for Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

OR 1 tsp onion powder for Onion Poppy Seed Bagels
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
Beat again until a mass begins to form.

Note: Due to climate you may need to add a little more flour or milk, depending on how dry or humid it is where you live.

Form the dough into a ball with your hands. (I put some oil on my hands so the dough doesn’t stick to them.)
Divide the ball in half.
Break each half in two, so that there are four balls.

Roll each ball in your hands, then push one finger through the middle and shape the dough into a ring. Note: They do rise a little in the oven, so the size of the hole will shrink slightly during baking. Tip: Use dry or slightly oiled hands to shape the dough, not wet hands. When my hands are wet the dough tends to break.

If making Onion Poppy Seed, wet the bagel a tiny bit (after shaping) and roll it in poppy seeds.
Bake on a slightly greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 24 minutes.
Makes 4.

Comments

Wow, Kelly – these look great! I have been wondering, what is the purpose of vinegar in your recipes – does it help the product to rise? Also, could I use eggs instead of chia seeds?

Thanks Meagan! Yes, it helps it rise. I have a similar recipe that you could try using eggs. I’ve been meaning to myself. It’s my “braided” bread. Let me know if you do :-)

thanks so much for the recipe kelly- i made these yesterday. the taste was great, but i can’t say they really resembled yours! ;) they were flat and cracked a lot. any ideas? thanks!

Noosh, I think climate has so much to do with baking things like bagels. I would try more liquid or oil to prevent cracking and maybe more baking soda or powder for rising. I hope that helps!

Thanks so much for this recipe, Kelly! They came out great and my son loved them, both of which are always exciting :) I haven’t looked at your bun recipe, yet, but I am thinking if I just forgo the whole, these would be great buns, maybe that’s the bun recipe :) I’m excited, perfect for summer bbque’s!

Hi Kelly!
    I would like to try this recipe but my son cannot eat apples, neither he can vinegar.. but he can eggs… how can I substitute vinnegar and applesauce?
    Thanks!
    Zuzana

7. Janice says

Kelly, THANK YOU!! This is the first, and I mean the first baked good that my son has liked since he’s had to go on a very special diet with no grains, no sweeteners, no eggs and no dairy. I have tried many things, but this is the only one he’s liked. I made the bagels plain without the honey or cinnamon and raisins. He wants to eat them everyday, all day long he says! Sending you love and gratitude from Texas!!

8. Leah says

Do you know if this will multiply well to make a big batch & freeze some? I’ve been dying tofind a good bagels recipe since I omitted white flour from our diets.

I love your recipes! Thank you so much! I will be off to look at your cookbook info!
    One question, if I don’t have tapioca flour for instance could I use a different flour like millet or use brown rice flour instead of the coconut? Are the flours interchangeable or I need these specific one for this recipe? I am new to the gluten free. Thank you!

Kelly,
    Saw these on FB via Lexie, and checked them out thinking they would be full of nut flour – and they’re not! Yay!! I can switch the cashew milk for non-nut milk, and I can have these! And there is no yeast, so my friend with a yeast allergy can as well.
    I’m making them soon!!

Thank you so much – oh, and the 6 mos. pic & stellar pie are lovely, too! :)

xo,
    Gigi

11. Kim S says

We have an apple intolerance what do you recommend to substitute. I usually use pear sauce for apple sauce but what about the apple cider vinegar? Love you blog & recipes.

Hi Kelly,

I just had to let you know that I made these bagels (the cinnamon verssion) a couple of days ago and I was blown away at how good they are, I even blogged about them (linking back to your recipe of course), Thank you so much!

Hi Kelly!
    Made these again tonight…eating one now. This is one of my favorite recipes of yours! :) Love all them though! :)
    Sarah Rosney

I am also wondering if there is something you can use instead of coconut flour – can’t get it here! Thanks for the GREAT looking recipe.

and I made these right after I made the sandwich rolls… spot on Kelly! Seriously awesome! Thank you so much for these recipes. I can’t believe they don’t taste like coconut! And my husband has even enjoyed them!!

These looks great!! Could I replace Tapioca Flour with something else?? Have some troubles finding this flour in Norway :-)
    Merry Christmas Kelly!

Tove

17. hemhawseesaw says

Thank you for this recipe! It is so hard to find baked goods free from gluten, eggs, dairy and refined sugar! I made these as 6 small bagels in my doughnut tin and added blueberries. They taste just as I remember!

18. Afrina says

Hi Kelly!

I just made these as onion poppy seed bagels. They tasted good, but mine came out pretty heavy and dense. Is the texture supposed to be that way or should it be more light? If so, I think the mistake I might have made was that since I didn’t use an electric beater, I don’t think the dough mixed well because I still saw some clumps of the flaxseed in the dough. Also, since currently we have an ant issue going on in the kitchen, I put my honey and the flours in the refrigerator which hardened the coconut oil even though I had melted it. I just kept trying to mix it. So, I’m guessing my ingredients just didn’t incorporate well enough which made it heavy and dense? Next time, I will use an electric beater and have stuff at room temperature. Ok, let me know about how the texture should be please. Thank you!

Thanks for these! I made them with orange peel and dried cranberries. Subbed lemon juice for the vinegar. Yum.

I just found these on pinterest and made a batch of each tonight… they are PERFECT!! My family has a variety of allergies and I can’t even say how excited I am to have something we can ALL eat that is so simple and so delicious!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

21. Mcooks says

This may seem like a strange question, but I live in an area where it is really hard to find baking soda. (It is often used to cut drugs.) So, can I just use more baking powder? Thank you for your help. I am relatively new to gluten-free, etc., cooking and appreciate your site. :-)

22. Maria says

Hey!
    Is it possible to do this without neither of they gums???
    Or would it better possible to do it without making powder and just more baking soda
    (I can’t so baking powder)

So sorry for the trouble

Appreciate your work