This recipe has really evolved. You may have heard me say this before, but I first began cooking from scratch when I got Cooking with Coconut Flour, by Bruce Fife. My naturopath had encouraged me to use all things coconut: Coconut oil, coconut flour, coconut milk. So I got Cooking with Coconut Flour to learn how to do that That book uses ONLY coconut flour. Then I began tweaking the recipes in the book. The margins got so full of my tweaks that I started writing my variations down in a notebook. Then I tweaked the recipes in the notebook again, and again. And here we are today, with this Paleo banana bread.
Of course I didn’t know it was Paleo banana bread when I first made it back in 2008, or when I tweaked it again in 2009 to use less sweetener. I was just hooked on using coconut and healing my family with food. However, it really doesn’t matter what you call this banana bread. Gluten-free/grain-free or not, it’s the best banana bread I’ve ever had. It makes my mom proud
Paleo Banana Bread
For 2 loaves, or 12 servings
4 mashed bananas
8 eggs, brought to room temperature in a bowl of hot water
1/2 cup coconut sugar (or any granulated sugar)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil or ghee
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
1 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
optional: chopped 80% dark chocolate or 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay a piece of unbleached parchment paper across each of the bread loaf pans (8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″) so that it goes down one of the long sides, across the bottom and back up the other long side.
NOTE: If you use a different bread loaf pan the cooking time may change.
- Whisk the dry ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the wet ingredients with an electric mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix again.
- Divide the batter between the pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Let the bread cool then slice and serve.
Makes 2 loaves.
Note: This post was updated on August 18th, 2014.