This recipe has really evolved. You may have heard me say this before, but I first began cooking from scratch when I got Cooking with Coconut Flour, by Bruce Fife. My naturopath had encouraged me to use all things coconut: Coconut oil, coconut flour, coconut milk. So I got Cooking with Coconut Flour to learn how to do that That book uses ONLY coconut flour. Then I began tweaking the recipes in the book. The margins got so full of my tweaks that I started writing my variations down in a notebook. Then I tweaked the recipes in the notebook again, and again. And here we are today, with this Paleo banana bread.
Of course I didn’t know it was Paleo banana bread when I first made it back in 2008, or when I tweaked it again in 2009 to use less sweetener. I was just hooked on using coconut and healing my family with food. However, it really doesn’t matter what you call this banana bread. Gluten-free/grain-free or not, it’s the best banana bread I’ve ever had. It makes my mom proud
Paleo Banana Bread
For 2 loaves, or 12 servings
4 mashed bananas
8 eggs, brought to room temperature in a bowl of hot water
1/2 cup coconut sugar (or any granulated sugar)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil or ghee
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
1 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
optional: chopped 80% dark chocolate or 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Set the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lay a piece of unbleached parchment paper across each of the bread loaf pans (8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″) so that it goes down one of the long sides, across the bottom and back up the other long side.
NOTE: If you use a different bread loaf pan the cooking time may change.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients.
4. In a separate mixing bowl combine the wet ingredients with an electric mixer.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix again.
6. Divide the batter between the pans.
7. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out mostly clean.
8. Let the bread cool then slice and serve.
Makes 2 loaves.
Note: This post was updated on August 18th, 2014.
Be sure to sign up to my new Spunky Newsletter to get my FREE Paleo Pasta eBook!