Monster Quinoa Almond Butter Cookies

MonsterAlmondButterCookieDid your mom ever make Monster Cookies with you when you were little? When my brother and I were little my mom used to make them with us at Christmas. I don’t know how these cookies began, but I’m guessing Mars, Inc. was behind it, since Monster Cookies feature M&M’s candy. :-) If you google Monster Cookies you will find tons of recipes and photos. They are typically made with wheat flour, peanut butter, sugar, M&M’s, oats and eggs. This Christmas I decided to recreate Monster Cookies without gluten, refined sugar, dairy or eggs for my little girls, and join December’s Go Ahead Honey, hosted by Stephanie at Gluten Free By Nature.

To make my Monster Qionoa Almond Butter Cookies, I combined two of my recipes: Chocolate Chip Bars (p 68 in my first cookbook) and Mini Cupcake Kabobs. I decided to use quinoa flakes because they are full of complete protein, and unlike quinoa flour, which I don’t like, quinoa flakes come out tasting similar to oats when you bake them in cookies or bars. I used almond butter rather than peanut butter because it’s milder, and because peanuts carry fungus. If you can’t do almond butter, Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) is also great, and taste more like peanut.
QuinoaCookies
Many thanks to Naomi, the creator of Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free!, and Stephanie! XOXO

Monster Quinoa Almond Butter Cookies

gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, egg-free
Add to bowl:
1/2 cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
1/4 tsp guar gum OR xanthan gum
1 tbsp flax seed meal OR 1/2 tbsp Chia Seed meal (you can buy meal or grind the seeds yourself—I use my coffee grinder)
1/4 cup honey OR coconut sugar
Mix with electric mixer.
Add:
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup Sunbutter
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Mix again.
Roll into balls and flatten them between your hands, as thin as you can. (They really don’t change shape in the oven.)
Place on unbleached parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
If you want to keep the outside crunchy (so good) don’t store them in an air-tight container. Just put them on a plate and cover them with a cloth napkin.
After I made these I realize that if I left out the chocolate chips and walnuts maybe I could roll the dough out and we could use cookie cutters. They wouldn’t be the color of a sugar cookie, but the dough might work well for cookie cutters. I’ll let you know if we try that :-)

Comments

Ha! How wonderful to see a healthy version of Monster cookies! My mom would not believe it if I told her! She made us those giant Monster cookies with chocolate chips and M&Ms when we were little…..Now it’s my turn to make them for her!

Yes, my mom makes monster cookies! This year, according to my dad, she made “the best ones yet.” How great to hear! I am so happy to see this recipe! Thank you!

those look great! did you try the recipe with flax or chia? generally, it’s best to use about 2-3 times as much flax as you would chia, so I’d love to get more of a ballpark.
    thanks so much!!!!

Such great photos with the Christmas tree in the background! Saw this on the GAH roundup and thought, yeah, baby … monster cookies! Who could resist a cookie that looks that good with a name like that? I need to stock up on some flax and chia for heathier baking for 2010. :-)

Shirley

These look great. I just discovered almond butter for baking and my first cookies turned out to be a success.

Since hubby is not a chocolate eater, I would use raisins or nuts here. Thanks for motivating me with a new recipe.

Can I use traditional quinoa since I don’t have the flakes? If so, should I adjust the recipe or amount of quinoa at all? Thank you! I made the sunbutter fudge today for my 9 yr old son who is allergic to peanuts, and he loved it!

These look soo yummy! They actually just inspired a cookie that I made today – how can you not bake cookies when it snows ;) And I got back to school on Saturday, so today is my last real day to cook! I’ll let you know how they turn out, and of course, watch my blog! I enjoyed watching your bagel video – I don’t usually like the thought of bagels (probably b/c the storebought gluten ones are so fake) but yours looked VERY tasty! This summer I have decided that it will be my mission to find a nourishing gluten free breadd. I will definitely think about your bagels then!

Thanks everyone!

Brandae, I don’t know if that would work. Maybe with cooked quinoa, although I’m not sure it would taste good. They probably have the flakes at one of the online stores if you’re interested in doing that (they’re under “Subscribe”).

i’m making these today :) i was able to find all of the ingredients at my local health food store (and target, since they’re cheaper :) I’m so excited!!
    Kelly- this is random, but does your book only sell online, or is it in stores as well?

so i made them, and they turned out great! i discovered that i only have to bake them for 15 min though, since i live in FL :) man that almond butter is EXPENSIVE, though. what kind do you get? i got the maranatha raw.

Thanks Christina! I get giant Maranatha Almond Butter at Costco for way less, but it’s not raw. I’ve been meaning to try these with Sunbutter too, which I’ve seen at Target. =)

Christina,
    Trader Joe’s offers affordable almond butters (and other nut seed butters).
    I also get their almond meal & coconut milk.
    I heard that a lot of people on a gluten free/grain free diet shop @ Trader Joe’s ;).

I finally made them – YUM! I had to split sunbutter and almond butter, added raisins, shredded unsweetened coconut, walnuts, the dairy-free chocolate chips, flaxseed, and did find the quinoa flakes. So tasty! Thanks for the recipe, Kelly! I have to say though that the raw cookie dough rocked as is. :)

Holy crap, these were AMAZING!!! I made them after my kids went to bed, and I have to stop myself from eating them. :) I have a son on gfcf for autism, and it’s great to have recipes like yours to make treats for him. Thank you!

Thanks Brandae & Angela! I don’t know why, but every time I get a compliment it’s like the first time—All the emotions of gratitude and love fill up in my chest and my heart beats faster (I tear up a little). Sorry I’m so cheesy ;-)

PS If you guys like these, I think you may like another of my favorites: Chocolate Chip Bars They’re also in my cookbook & have similar ingredients. I love them :-)

16. Kemi says

I made these cookies twice. The first time was last night for a friends bday party. I wanted to add oats so I did 1/2 oats and 1/2 quinoa (cooked, since I didn’t have any quinoa flakes). I also used 1/2 peanut butter and 1/2 almond butter, added a couple teaspoons of raisins and used truvia instead of honey, lol. It sounds like a lot of subs but it was AWESOME. My friends couldn’t believe that it was good for them. XD

Funnily when I made them today, I realized that yesterday I forgot to put in the coconut flour. XD Either way it was great both ways! Keep of the good work!

I am really glad I stumbled upon your blog. I had bypass surgery in November so I’m being trying to eat better all around (not just a diet) and it seems like your philosophy is right up my alley. :D

These are great cookies, Kelly!! Thank you for the recipe! I think I just might let my daughter have a cookie with breakfast tomorrow… guilt free mommy!!

18. Mom of GF Child says

Just pulled these out of the oven, and have to say, YUMMMMMM!!!! Can’t wait to have my kids try them when they get home from school. Thanks!
    p.s. Small world, my twin sister is on the same pickup as your azure. Cool!

I just found your site and am very excited to try some of your recipes. Have you worked out nutritional information? It would be so great to have an estimate of grams of carbs vs protein and fat. Am searching for some low carb recipes for baking and this cookie one looks very promising!

Oh my goodness! These are SOOO good! I am going to have one happy little boy when he comes home from school! They hold together so well. Usually my gluten free, egg free cookies end up too dry or too crumbly. These are amazing. Thank you, thank you! You are so talented!!!