Onion & Kale Soup super simple, gluten-free

I have been craving greens lately, which I can only assume is my body’s way of telling me I need nutrient rich, highly antioxidant food. In fact, I’ve eaten a bowl or two of this soup every day for a week now, and I can’t seem to get enough of it. Plus, it’s so simple to make, with only 3 ingredients, there’s no reason not to have it :-) Have you been craving anything interesting lately?

Onion & Kale Soup

Add to slow cooker:
2 small or 1 large slice onion
1 bunch kale, stems removed, well washed, and chopped
(no need to chop them pretty -they will be pureed later)
2 quarts of vegetable broth
Set to 6 hours high or 8 hours low.
Let cool.
Pour through a strainer into a large bowl to separate the solids from
the broth.
Place the onion and kale into a blender or food processor.
Puree till nice and creamy.
Add as much of the broth as you can (up to the top line).
Give it another whirl.
Stir the soup in the blender with the remaining broth in the bowl.

Comments

This sounds lovely =D. Lately, I’ve been craving pumpkin. Although its sort of typical this time of year, I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate it into lots of things!

2. Jennifer R. says

I’m putting this on the menu for this week — I LOVE soup and using the crock pot makes it so easy! Thanks for sharing your awesome recipes!! You rock :)

This was super great and soothing to my unhappy tummy! I may add a single, whole garlic clove next time too! What’s amazing is that it doesn’t need any salt or pepper. I used Imagine No-Chicken broth since I was out of homemade and not feeling great.

Hi Kelly!

i have a question, it necessary to do the whole wait to cool and separate thing if i have an emersion blender? couldn’t i just stick it in the hot pot of soup and blend? or does the cooling thicken it?

thank you, i love your blog, and your girls are adorable!

Thanks -M! XOXO

Thanks! I tried my emersion blender first, and it wasn’t as well blended as I wanted. It might work out fine for you though. Mine is kind of old. Maybe newer emersion blenders work better =)

6. Haylie says

I am a 19 year old college student living in my own apartment for the first time, and just started a grain free/refined sugar free diet. I gave this soup a go and it turned out beautifully, and it was super easy. I added some curry and chili powder to amp it up (:

7. Kelsey says

Hi Kelly,

Thank you so much for posting this! I stumbled across your blog while looking for soup recipes. I just had jaw surgery (and was sorely missing my kale) and this soup was a life saver! Keep up the wonderful work! I enjoy your blog and appreciate all your hard work!

In Health,