Gluten Free Brownies, Egg-free, Grain-free

GlutenFreeBrownies

Lately I’ve been getting more and more requests for egg-free and grain-free recipes. So I’ve been experimenting with both, but so far I haven’t come up with anything successful. This brownie recipe however, is not new. It’s the recipe from my post, Mini Cupcake Kabobs. All I did was bake it in a square greased dish for about 35 minutes.

You can really play around with it too. For instance, I used almond butter, but you could try it with Sunbutter. Also, extracts like mint can be added, or walnuts for crunch, etc.
Then, you can eat this brownie chewy and gooey straight from the oven, but we prefer it after it’s been cooled in the refrigerator, like the Flourless Brownies from which it evolved.
I hope you egg-free and/or grain-free friends enjoy these brownies, however you choose to eat them!

Egg-free, Grain-free Brownies

Whip with an electric mixer:

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of water
1/8 tsp xanthan gum

Add to water and xanthan gum mixture:

1/2 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp coconut flour

1 cup almond butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 droppers-full vanilla liquid stevia
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Beat with electric mixer.
Pour into square greased cake pan.
Spread slightly (it will even itself out).
Sprinkle with 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips. I used Enjoy Life. I like them because they’re mini.
Bake at 325 degrees, for about 35 minutes.

Update: I made these last night and I was out of vanilla creme liquid stevia, so I used a chocolate raspberry liquid stevia instead, and they are so awesome! My new favorite! I think I’ll take the idea a little farther and put some raspberry jam on top too! :-)

Comments

Looks delicious!
    Baking with coconut flour without eggs can be a bit tricky (believe me I know).
    I guess the almond butter is what binds it all together ;).
    I’m very much into scd/gaps/paleo baking lately with little or no sweetener but some recipes rely heavily on eggs. It’s easy to substitute 2-3 eggs with flaxmeal and/or applesauce but when it comes to 6 eggs or more, it’s nearly impossible!
    Thank you for sharing this recipe ;).

Hey Kelly – have you used guar gum in recipes instead of xanthan gum?? guar gum is 1/4 of the price of xanthan so if it works just as well I would like to use it. BTW your mini brownie kabobs are SO cute!!

Thanks VeggieGirl!
    You are so sweet!

Thanks Alchemille!
    I’ve heard about the flaxmeal, but I haven’t tried it yet. How do you do it? Thanks for sharing!

Hi Katrina!
    They are so fun!

Thanks Palmer!
    I’ve been meaning to try guar gum, I was just waiting to finish my xanthan gum first. Is it equal parts when substituting? Thanks so much!

Thanks Lauren!
    I agree ;-)

• Jen says

We also use chia seeds as egg replacer. Works great if you don’t want the flavor of flax. 1 egg=1tbs flax or chia, ground, to 3 tbs warm water. Let rest 5-10 min until thick.

Everywhere I am reading this morning, there’s chocolate!! These look really wonderful, Kelly. Never apologize for an older recipe … all of yours are fantastic. :-) I’m sure this will be welcomed by many who want/need to eat egg free and grain free. I want to eat one right now … mid-morning treat perhaps?

Shirley

Thanks Shirley! Anytime treat ;-)

Hi,
    Grinding coconut might work if you can’t order coconut flour online, or find it in a health food store. All the best, Kelly

Kelly,
    I’m currently baking these brownies for my hubby’s birthday…With a few slight modifications.
    I used 1 tsp sweet potato flour instead of xanthan gum and 2 tsp vanilla extract + 2 tbsp coconut sugar instead of the vanilla stevia.
    I also chose a slightly dark raw mountain honey which taste less sweet than most commercial honey.
    The batter tasted great and had a perfect consistency so I’m sure it’s gonna come out great ;).

Regarding the flax meal as egg substitute, use 1 tbsp flax meal (preferably freshly ground) to 3 tbsp water (some people say lukewarm water but room temp works well too). Stir and let it thicken a few minutes…Then it’s ready to use!

It makes moist baked goods and works well in meatloaves and meatballs. Not that great in pancakes though, they come out doughy (it depends on the type of flour, I used rice flour but it works better with almond flour…).

Hope this helps ;).

Thank you Alchemille! You rock! :-)

Thanks Nabeel! I am not vegan, not even vegetarian, although I don’t eat much meat. I’ve just been getting a lot of requests for people who are allergic to eggs.

8. kris says

Oh. My. Stars. This just hits the spot! With a quick whirl, the earth and moon and stars all realigned, and I am, once again, a happy mommy! Many thanks!

These are in my oven right now! It was really hard to put them in because we were LOVING the batter – the best part about egg-free baking! Can’t wait to test them. I used maple syrup instead of honey and stevia. Thanks for the recipe!

Guar gum absolutely works! I had to go with guar gum when nursing my third, because she had a corn intolerance.
    I was wondering if the xantham/guar gum is really necessary? I’m making it for a MIlk & Soy Protein Intolerance support group and xantham/guar isn’t something people generally have in their cupboards unless they have lots of food allergies. Thanks!

BTW, I LOVE eating the batter before baking it…

I just had to cut out eggs… we are GF/CF and just found out my nursing 6 month old has egg and peanut allergies. These brownies made me feel so much better about my dessert options. They are the best brownies I’ve ever had!!

Words uttered upon tasting these, “What the hell, why aren’t these disgusting?” – my husband, who never eats my paleo baked goods. “It seems like all of my troubles just melted away.” – my 7-year-old, who is constantly whining about his dietary restrictions. <3

I am so excited a friend found these for me. I need to go buy some of the enjoy life chips. I might try them without first. We have a huge list of food allergys thanks to Eosinophilic esophagitis. My little guy is off all grains and we’re down to coconut flour, which we’re not even sure is really safe now. He’s dairy and egg free too. There’s 20 some foods he can’t have. To be able to make him brownies makes me cry. I did pull off some donuts this morning. Then I found your recipe.I will have to try it soon. The only butter I can use is smart balance light so ii’m hoping they turn out ok! Thank you again for sharing.

Thank you for this recipe! I make my own milk from organic sunflower seeds (cheaper than almonds). I am always looking for ways to use up the leftover pulp. So I followed your recipe and replaced the almond butter with 1 cup of the leftover sunflower pulp + 3 Tbsp’s of coconut oil. They turned out amazing. I printed out the recipe and added it to my collection of favorites. Plus I’m allergic to eggs so I really appreciate that you make some of your reipes egg free. You are the best!

Do you have any suggestions to replace the mini chocolate chips? They have cane sugar, which my 5 yo is allergic to. Other than that I am ready to make him a desert that he would probably like. Thanks!!!

• Anonymous says

Check out chocolate covered Katie for her sugar free chocolate recipe, basically coconut oil, cocoa powder, stevia dips or another sugar free alternative and I add vanilla extract. You will find heaps of great recipeson there

16. Amanda H. says

Hey! I just put your brownies in the oven for my girls. I hope they turn out. I have a question: I used raw unsalted almond butter, is that right? Also, do you know if guar gum is soy? I have heard that it is. Thanks for the recipe!

17. Erin says

I just made these and they are the best gluten-free sugar-free vegan brownies I’ve tasted. The fluffy yet gooey texture is perfect, and the almond butter flavor isn’t strong at all. I substituted the stevia for 1 Tbs of vanilla extract, which worked perfectly (not a fan of the stevia taste). Thank you for creating this recipe!

18. Debi says

Made a 6″ cake and mini cupcakes with this recipe, very good! I subbed cashew butter and it has a very rich flavor. Also, I didn’t use all that stevia, just 4 drops and it is sweet enough with the honey. Thanks so much, I have been looking for a grain-free, egg-free, sugar-free, dairy-free recipe for my grandson’s 2nd birthday this weekend!

19. Vicki says

These are our favorite wheat-, egg-, and dairy-free brownies. I have made them numerous times and received good reviews from wheat-eating friends. My son even requested these for his pops & pies band concert fundraiser.