Strawberry & Mini Cupcake Kabobs gluten-free, egg-free, grain-free

Tomorrow is of my friend’s son’s birthday, and her daughter can’t have gluten, dairy or eggs. So she asked me if I could bring a dessert that met those requirements, and I was happy to accept. I almost made a recipe by someone else, but first I wanted to try something… I wanted to make my Flourless Brownies without using eggs. The first try had too much xanthan gum and not enough (well, not any) flour, and they were a total flop, literally. So I took out some of the xanthan gum, and added some coconut flour and they came out so chewy and gooey, I can’t even tell you! They may have flour now, but they are still grain-free: Grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and YUM-full! ;-)

Gluten-Free Mini Cupcakes

I used the Flourless Brownie Recipe minus the eggs and PLUS:

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of water
1/8 tsp xanthan gum
(I whipped the water and xanthan gum together with an electric mixer in a separate bowl)

1/2 tsp baking powder (Grain-free Baking Powder Recipe)
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp coconut flour, sifted

I greased my mini muffin tray and filled each half way with the batter, and baked them at 325 degrees, for about 12 minutes.

Let them cool in the mini muffin tray before taking them out. (I made the mistake of dumping a few out when they were hot from the oven, and they lost their shape.)

I piped on some Sunbutter Frosting

1/2 cup sunbutter
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup honey
pinch of sea salt
Beat with electric mixer. Add:
1 tsp of coconut flour, sifted
Beat again.
Pipe on top.

I thought they would be so cute with a strawberry, on a “kabob”: lollypop sticks that I got a Michael’s craft store. :-)

Note: You can also bake this recipe in a square greased baking dish rather than make minis. Bake at 325 degrees for about 35 minutes.

Comments

Those looks so yummy! But then again, most of your recipes do. Are more kids allergic to foods these days or is it just me? My grandson cannot eat eggs, dairy or potatoes. I’m looking forward to making some of your recipes for him.

Thanks Margie! I am seeing it more and more too. I wonder if it’s the same in other countries?

Thanks GF Dish! I use Frontier co-op cocoa powder. It’s organic and fair-trade.

oh my goodness!
    oh my goodness!
    i can’t wait!
    i wish it was one of my kids birthdays every day!
    you totally outdid (ozarkian term there) yourself this time!
    i’m so so excited!!
    thank you! thank you! i can’t wait to see Mae’s face!

Hi Kelly. Made your strawberry chocolate chip muffins last night and they were great! None of that funky taste you get with a lot of gluten free recipes. Thanks. I’m enjoying the cookbook!
    Diana

Question: Could flaxseed meal or gelatin be substituted for the xanthan gum? I’ve been planning on making a raw carrot cake for my daughter’s 2nd bday party, but am unsure how disappointed people will be if there’s no ‘cake’! These look like they could fit the bill, but I’m hoping I don’t have to buy too many new ingredients.

Thanks so much!

6. Nancy B. says

These are so cute; I love them! The frosting especially sounds wonderful. (Reluctantly, each of us is finding we have to omit chocolate from our diets.) This frosting sounds like it would be great on an applesauce spice muffin, maybe with golden raisins?

Oh my gosh! I think I found Heaven! Am going gluten free as soon as I finish a diet I am on for 26 days. Can’t wait. I am SO glad I found you and Elana!
    Teri Bingaman

Just wanted to say how thankful I am for your blogs. A year ago my world instantly became overwhelming when I learned my two year old son is allergic to wheat, egg and citrus. His tummy doesn’t progress them properly result= serious health issues! He lays on floor all day cuz his tummy hurts, he cant use toilet because his bowel movement is wet, liquid like. I personally don’t like to cook, I wont stay in kitchen for more than 15 min I have simple basic kitchen tools. I have no idea what ingredients goes with what, or what purpose each of things in kitchen are for. My sister in law suggested me to look at your blog, slowly I learned to use my kitchen better, and slowly (and am still) learning what the purpose each ingredients are. Its been a little over a year now, my son fattened up, his health is excellent. No more tummy ache or lying on floor all day due to tummy aches. He’s happy, running around like any three yrs old. Recently I realized my health improved, so my did my 6 yrs old daughter, we both went for test and also discovered that all of us are allergic to wheat, and egg! Also cane sugar! I just don’t feel overwhelmed anymore. I just know I can just go right to your blogs for ideas or guidance on what to cook for the breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert THANK YOU SO MUCH! Planning on buying all of your book once my budget allows it.