Birthday Cake

As promised, I took a couple pictures of Zoe and Ashley’s birthday cake. I’m really happy with the way it came out, and most importantly, the girls loved it! For more photos, stroll over to the spunky family journal. Cheers, Kelly

PS I did make one very small change to the recipe -I added a little coconut oil, which is now included on the post.

Comments

Just wondering with the addition of the coconut oil does the cake taste better or bake better? I made your original recipe and it was great w/o it. I finally ordered coconut oil we have been out for 2 months – if it is a lot better with the oil then I’ll try it but as I said we enjoyed the orig. recipe :)

Hi Palmer! I also made it without oil, probably 4 times, and I ended up adding it this time, not for taste, but because I thought the outside got a little too dry sometimes, almost like a crust on the cake. I attributed this dry outer skin to it needing more moisture. I think it helped, but perhaps it could use even more oil. I just don’t know -the recipe is so good already.

Cheers, Kelly

Kelly,

Oh my gosh, that cake looks incredible! Seriously good. And I’m glad to find out about organic coconut sugar. Seems I’ve heard about that before (maybe from you), but I had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. It sounds good.

Thanks for the recipe. I’ll definitely be trying this one. Yum!

I agree with the comment above this post about the almond muffins. They are the best ever. Every time I make them, they are all gone before the end of the day, mostly eaten by me.

That cake is incredible looking. You missed my BD (it was the 17th) … I know I was out of town though–can I still get a cake? Kidding, of course … well, sort of. ;-)

Beautiful, Kelly! I bet you had one happy BD girl!
    Shirley

Hi Kelly,
    I made this cake last week as cupcakes for my diabetic friend. I replaced the honey with a mashed banana and a drop more of vanilla stevia. I also didn’t have coconut flour so just used 2/3 cup of brown rice flour with a 1/4 tsp corn starch. It was a lovely moist, light and fluffy cake crumb and the rich chocolate frosting gave it just the right punch of sinfulness. It was a crowd pleaser for sure. Great job!

Hi Kelly!
    My daughter is turning 5 on Sunday and we’re having a cupcake decorating party. We have some friends coming you cannot have gluten and we really want everyone to have a delicious cupcake to enjoy. Have you made cupcakes with this recipe? Also, I don’t have any stevia on hand and in case I can’t get out to get any, is there a substitute for that?
    Thanks!