Almond & Buckwheat Gluten Free Biscuits

BuckwheatBiscuits About every 5 days I make almond milk with a cup of almonds (measured when dry). Then I fill the blender up to the top line with purified water, blend and strain through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth. Sometimes I make two gallons at once, and freeze one (using glass jugs), so that I have to make almond milk less often. This leaves me with two cups worth of wet almond meal.

I’ve been working on a recipe fro gluten free biscuits using the wet almond meal left over after straining almond milk for a while now. I finally have a recipe that is good enough to share. I may still tweak it some more though :-)

Gluten-Free Biscuits

Mix well:
wet almond meal left over after straining almond milk = to 2 cups of dry almonds
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp vanilla liquid stevia
1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda

Kneed into dough. Roll to about 3/4 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter of your choice. My kids used a heart shape. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Makes about 10 yummy biscuits.

Comments

Steph,

That’s so sweet! The great thing about making you own, besides all the nutrition in fresh nut milk, is the left over wet almond meal. I also have a couple cookie recipes using it. One is in my cookbook, and one is here on the blog: Chocolate Heart Shaped Cookies. Let me know if you decide to try it!

:-) Kelly

2. Laura K says

I’m gonna need the following:

1) a way to subscribe via email

2) a share tag for your posts

It’s gettin’ too good!! :)

You are so creative! I am always afraid of “creating” because I hate to waste ingredients if it doesn’t turn out but you always have such lovely foods.

Everything you make says love, Kelly–whether it’s in the form of a heart or not. But, I do have a great fondness for hearts, so keep ‘em coming. :-) Way cool! Thanks for doing all the experimentation and sharing the results with us!

Shirley

Excellent Kelly I’ve been wondering what to do with the leftover, uh, “curd.” Now this is probably a dumb question but is that 2 cups of “curd” or what’s leftover from 2 cups of nuts made into milk? Would you mind very much measuring the amount next time you make the biscuits? I’m new here but am so glad I found you, great ideas.

Thanks Laurel! It is what’s left over from 2 cups of almonds, made into milk. I believe it comes to a little more than 1 cup of leftover wet meal.

7. Courtney E says

SO Delicious! My almond milk didn’t yield as much as I wanted but it was worth the labor for these yummy buiscuits. Thanks!

The biscuit recipe looks and sounds great, but I’m confused about the “2 cups” of strainings. Are you saying that the wet almond pulp strained out after grinding up the 1 cup of almonds is 2 cups in volume? I use a VitaMix, and I only get about a cup of pulp strained out.

9. Linda says

While I always make my almond milk the very same way, the leftover almond pulp is never the same for me.
    So, in the future, could you please include the amount of pulp necessary? I just love your blog, your recipes and YOU!
    Thanks!