Quinoa Almond Muffins

The weather was a little chilly today, in comparison to the 70′s it’s supposed to be for the next week, but we had a simulated archaeological dig anyway. In order to teach history, the children first needed to understand what history is. Last week we made a history of our family book. Today we put on a few layers of clothes and some light mittens, and dug in the sand for clues about long ago. While the girls were using the slides, I buried a book (showing the pretend people could read and write), jewelry (suggesting how they dressed), coins (they used money), a watch (they could tell time), a toy car (they drove cars), etc. They had a great time brushing off each artifact in their roped off 2 foot area, just like a real archaeological dig, and recording it on the clipboard.

After lunch we went to the library with some friends, before coming home for an impromptu tea party with our neighbor, Abigale, who is 9 years old. The girls were delighted when I suggested a “real” tea party, complete with mint tea in a ceramic cherry tea pot, and my quinoa almond muffins, fresh out of the oven. These muffins remind me of corn muffins in taste and texture. They are so good.

Quinoa Almond Muffins

Set oven to 350 degrees.
Add to bowl:
6 room temp eggs (cold eggs will harden the oil)
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
1/2 tsp vanilla liquid stevia

2 tsp alcohol-free almond extract
2 tbs honey or agave
Beat with electric mixer, then add:
6 tbs almond butter
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 tbs coconut flour, sifted
1 cup Quinoa Flakes

2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
Beat again.
Stir in 1 cup chopped or slivered nuts.
Fill unbleached paper muffin cups about 3/4 full.
Bake for 15 minutes.

Comments

1. marcie says

Your history dig sounds like sooo much fun! That tea party looks good too! I’m in the mood for a tasty treat, so I think I’ll give those muffins a try!

Thanks -M!

I’m sure you could substitute with that. You might need a little more though because the liquid is more concentrated. You could also add a little vanilla extract if it isn’t flavored powder.

A strange observation however – and if anyone else has experienced this or knows why it happens please let me know! – when I use powdered stevia in recipes with quinoa flakes they turn green! It’s happened to me a few times over the years, and it’s happened with more than one recipe. There must be some kind of reaction between the powdered stevia and the quinoa flakes…

I was really looking forward to these but did not love them. HOWEVER, it is probably due to using coconut sugar in place of the honey. I am reacting to honey right now and am out of agave so I used what I had. the stevia left strong aftertaste. Bummer. I’ll have to try the recipe as written one more time.

4. Rin says

These are delicious! I am allergic to nuts so I replaced the almonds with 1 cup shredded coconut (and the almond butter with sunbutter). They were great! Wonderful recipe!

Jennifer, I hope you enjoy them more next time =)

Rin, Thank you so much! It’s also great to know that shredded coconut and Sunbutter can be substituted! Thanks!!! =)

6. Rin says

Ps. After they cooled, the insides turned green (!)….has this happened to you or is it one of the substitutes I used?

Oh my goodness—YES! I forgot about that! It happens to me when I use stevia and Sunbutter! I tried to research it and I never figured it out. All I know is that it always happens when I use those two together! Green! =)

PS Did you happen to use powdered stevia by any chance? I just realized that I have made some things with stevia and Sunbutter lately (like my egg-free brownies) and that didn’t happen, but the stevia was liquid, not powder… Hmm… =)

HI Kelly,

I just made these muffins for the first time yesterday and they came out dry. They are even more dry today. I stored them in a plastic bag on the counter. I followed the recipe exactly except I subbed agave for the honey. Do you think this could make it dry?
    thanks!