Sunbutter Flourless Brownies

sunbrownie2
For those of you who like the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, but want to avoid peanuts, this is the brownie for you. I made these flourless brownies with Sunbutter, for one of the best brownie recipes ever! Add a little mint and you have mint chocolate brownies! So many delicious ways to make them!

Sunbutter Flourless Brownies

gluten-free, casein-free, sugar-free
Set oven to 325 degrees
Add to Bowl:
1/2 cup sunbutter (for a peanut-like taste)
1/2 cup almond butter
(or 1 cup of almond butter and no sunbutter, if you don’t want a peanut butter taste)
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla liquid stevia
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder (no more than 1/4 cup – or they will be dry)
Optional: 1/2 tsp mint extractBeat with electric mixer.
If the batter appears too dry add 2 to 4 tablespoons of water.
Pour into square greased cake pan. Spread slightly (it will even itself out).
Sprinkle with 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips. I used Enjoy Life. I like them because they’re mini.
Bake on the middle rack for 24 minutes.
You can also double the recipe for a large rectangular pan. The bake time is the same.
Notes: We usually eat the whole thing the day it’s made, but today I had some leftovers that Andy put in the fridge yesterday – Oh my goodness… They are sooooo good cold! You have to try it!

Comments

Dear Kelly,
    I made these in an 8X8 pan. They were perfect! Your brother and I love them. He likes them cold from the fridge, I like them heated. As I’m eating them I have to keep reminding myself that they are healthy. Delicious!
    Love, Mom

I just made these. I added the soda just to make sure…and I wish I had not. It turned into a chocolate cake instead. Oh well, just means I need to make more! I added some of your gnash to it…and dear Lord I felt like I was in heaven! For breakfast I know what I am eating…if they make it that long. If I knew eating healthy tasted this good, I would have done this YEARS ago!

Faith

oh I did not use sunbutter, instead I added one whole cup of the almond butter. I do plan to use sunbutter, just have not had time to make any today. Well I am going to go get me another serving!

Faith

Faith,

Isn’t it amazing that you can make cake and brownies with no flour at all?! If you like mint, you could add a little to the next batch. Mint and chocolate have always been a favorite combo of mine!

Also if you’re after a thinner variety, you can use a large rectangular pan, and spread the batter out.

I think I might have to go make some myself ;-)

Finally making these. I hope you are well and we can see you soon! We’ve been busy with family stuff. Life is hectic but happy.

Ann

Hey Ann,

Missing you! Tegan just went home, and I’m not quite sure what to do with myself ;-) Come on over and we’ll make so goodies!

7. Bonnie says

Is there anything that can be substituted for the honey? The only liquid sweetener I can use is DaVinci syrup (no honey, brown rice syrup, agave, etc). Is it more for the sweetness or the liquid? They sound lovely and I can’t wait to try your ice cream too!

Hey Kelly,
    Have you tried making these without cocoa powder? The cocoa powder effects my candida and I can not use it. I have tried unsweetened chocolate and added xylatol and that works pretty well. But it does make them, have a strong chocolate flavor…which I am FINE with;-)

Hi Latte!
    I haven’t tried them without cocoa powder, but what about cacao powder or carob powder? Sounds like the way you developed is really good though :-)

10. kelli says

I am just wondering if I can leave the honey out and just use the stevia as I am on a candida diet and it doesn’t allow me to have any sweeteners except stevia?

11. Sue says

I have a question about the amount of vanilla cream. My bottle of stevia is close to full. When I tried to fill it with the stevia, it only came up to about half way on the dropper. Is that what you mean by a full dropper or should I double it to make one dropper full?
    Thank you.

I just made these, with a *few* subs. PB instead of sunflower butter, 1/4 cup coconut sugar instead of 1/3. They were AMAZING. I’m thinking maybe a touch less cocoa powder to make them a just slightly less dry… but honestly one of the BEST brownies I’ve had in a while… Super healthy, and for my calorie counting roommates a bargain! (~100 cals)

I do have a question- do you ever get that stevia aftertaste? I can always tell if there is stevia in something… do you think maybe using even less would help this problem? Thanks!

-Jen

This is a great quick recipe, Kelly! So simple and delicious. I didn’t have any nut or seed butters on me the first time I made it, so I tossed some walnuts, almonds, and pecans into my food processor and voila! They were sooo yummy :)

Hi! I’m newish to your site (found you from Amy at SS&GF) and I bought your cookbook from amazon!

I’m wondering about the chocolate chips? Are these sugar free without the chips or are Enjoy Life chocolate chips sugar-free as well as dairy free?

These are amazing! I made these today and made some subs to fit my allergies. I replaced the cocoa powder with 1/4 c. coconut flour to make blondies, and I used 2 T. ground chia seed + water (gel) instead of eggs. These turned out perfect! Can’t wait to try these cold : ) Thanks for the great recipe

hi, im not gluten free but i love your blog and i just made these brownies, they are so good and their texrure is just like normal brownies i loved them!!!!

17. Elese says

Oh my goodness these brownies are just heavenly! Thank you so much for this fabulous recipe. It will be my new “go to” quick and easy treat. I substituted pumpkin seed butter for the almond butter as I can’t tolerate almonds, and yum! It was fantastic. I’m cooking my way through both your cookbooks and my family is loving everything I’ve made. Thanks again!

My mother was just diagnosed with a heart condition and she has been put on a diet of no white flour and no white sugar. I came across your recipe and thought it sounded like a good option for her new dietary needs. I have a batch in the oven right now. I used maple syrup (about 3 tablespoons) instead of stevia as I really don’t like the way stevia tastes and used all almond butter. The batter tastes pretty good so I think they will be yummy. I hope she likes them and I can’t wait to try them (cooked) myself.

19. Lex says

I found your blog through a search for paleo desserts and I’m so happy I gave this recipe a try! I had little hope in paleo desserts, but these brownies change everything! They are delicious! I made a batch to share with a friend and I’m going to have to make another for myself! Thanks!